Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Performer Stainless Hardware  (Read 1601 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
SS Performer Stainless Hardware
« on: October 10, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
I picked up my 2nd SS Performer in a month.  (Also acquired a metal handle Kettle in the same month.)

Someone, I can't find who, suggested replacing the hardware with stainless.  Great idea.

I'm off to the hardware store to pick up 2 sets of new stainless hardware for the SS Performers.  Thought that I would share the list of hardware I came up with, based on reading the schematics.  It's possible that I over estimated some of the parts.  A few may have been counted twice.

At anyrate, this is what I came up with.  This does not include any vent, handle, sweeper/ash catcher, or thermometer parts:

4 x Screw 1/4-20 x 5/8" slotted truss head, zinc
5 x Acorn nut 1/4-20 inch
5 x Hex nut 1/4 x 20 inch Keps nut
8 x Hexhead bolt 1/4-20 x 1 3/4 inch
8 x Hexhead screw (bolt) 1/4-20 x 1/2 inch. Black.
12 x 1/4-inch aluminum flat washer
20 x 1/4" Flat nylon washer, black

How do I attach a file?  I've generated a parts list that covers 4 models of SS Performer (2000 - 2004, Pre-2k, and pre-2k charcoal [also William Sonoma which my green is]) in one place that I could upload if others would be interested.

Pete

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
Re: SS Performer Stainless Hardware
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
I did put ss hardware in the kettle of my performer after I had to cut a couple of the bolts out they were so far gone.  I only did the lid bale and the connector for the gas burner, looks like you are doing a much more thorough job of replacing everything & it should come out nicely. I did use ss washers as well & also used toothed lock washers between the washer and the nut, not sure if it does any good but they weren't that expensive.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
I'm trying to do all of them.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 07:14:52 AM »
You're not likely to find SS Kreps nuts at any hardware store. I just use a lock washer and regular nut. Just don't over tighten them.
Also, I use a bolt with a regular hex head instead of a slotted one. Much  easier to remove with a wrench as opposed to a screw driver. You can always get fancy and use allen head or torx.
Maybe even cap nuts instead of a regular nut. Whatever makes it yours..
Good luck with the project!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..