Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vintage weber grill  (Read 1521 times)

pistenbully101

• Happy Cooker
Vintage weber grill
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »
Hey all; I scored a sweet grill from a garage sale yesterday. It looks like a pre 60's weber but has NO embossed markings or stamp in the inside ceramic on the lid. This thing is built like a tank!  It's red and it also has legs that do not use the thumb screws to hold it in. Did Weber make ANY models without their stamp on them?  AMY help on this would be awesome!  Thanks :)  Here are links to the pics: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjrylajxuilid8c/grill.JPG  and : https://www.dropbox.com/s/np0b08is59tbgjf/IMG_5123.JPG

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Vintage weber grill
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
can we get a pick of the under side?

it almost looks like a mismatched bowl and lid.

the lid is late <62, but the wheels aren't. it looks like the bowl has wide tabs too - which means the bowl is much newer than the lid (hence the lack of thumbscrews)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »
Troy...looks like you are about right with all of what you said.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
I would LOVE to have that lid!   It on first glance appears to be mis matched.

A thought:

Might the bowl be correct as well?  And perhaps a prior owner replaced the leg kit AND bottom vents?  Possible.....

EDIT:  The bowl vents appear to have the little notch for the vent tabs.  I can not remember what that tells us about the age.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
Hey G$, if the bottom vents were replaced they would of had to be reattached with a nut and bolt. Looks like the original rivets in the photo
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
Still a sweet find!!! Nice snag pisten!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 01:56:26 PM »
EDIT:  The bowl vents appear to have the little notch for the vent tabs.  I can not remember what that tells us about the age.

Good eye, those little notches definitely came later. The bowl and wheels are from the 70s it seems

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »
Hey G$, if the bottom vents were replaced they would of had to be reattached with a nut and bolt. Looks like the original rivets in the photo

Likely, but since we can not see the bottom, the bolt head may be in the bowl.  I almost thought I saw a notch in the pan head for a screwdriver.   I have also seen people reattach vents using rivets.    Anyway, probably moot, because based on the tab slots I really think it is a 70s bowl anyway.

But god,  that lid.  I love it! 

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »
Beautiful. Nice pickup.