Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: NorCal Mini meetup with Ranch Kettle break-in session  (Read 13650 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Re: NorCal Mini meetup with Ranch Kettle break-in session
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
The ring worked out really well, however I have plans to fab some custom baskets for Argent and I pretty soon.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »

The ring worked out really well, however I have plans to fab some custom baskets for Argent and I pretty soon.
Be sure to post pics. I got some expanded metal, but I don't have access to welding. Been thinking of trying SS bolts, washers, and nuts. Have seen others make charcoal baskets without welding.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »
Great post.  Nice kettle Argent.

Mind if I ask, is the charcoal kettle on that RK twisted/bent (7th pic down) or is that just an optical illusion in the photo?
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 07:11:04 PM »
I think it's actually warped. I've seen alot of these RK grates get deformed- I've also seen them where the center is completely blown out. The length of the rod, the extremely large heat area/source, and weight of the charcoal are also contributing factors to the warpage. The RK charcoal grate also has a support beam on it.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 12:25:40 PM »

Oh, and that pig smoker is cool.  Nice score there.

Wow...I just had to go back and look.  That pig is a smoker!  Hella cool.  Sorry I'm gonna miss this Saturday's get together, hoping to be invited next time!

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 02:25:42 PM »
A few weeks ago Argentflame picked up a ranch kettle for $250. He cleaned it up and shared the first cook with a few grillfellas. This is what happened.

In attendance we had Cuda Dan, HeyJude, Argentflame, PBE Gummi Bear, Duke, and Kako5256. This was our first time meeting Cuda Dan so I guess you could call it his initiation.  :) Although he was pretty knowledgable on the grill so he taught us a few tricks. Thanks, Cuda Dan!

Cuda Dan giving a speech or something.   8)

Some cooker kettles present today.

A bunch of Filipino food was on the menu today. It wouldn't be a Filipino menu without our buddy Miguel.

Our buddy Sam was there too

Two chimney's getting fired up on the RK. This thing is big folks! A WSM ring is in the back shadows and would be our charcoal basket for the day.

Hey, I recognize that kettle!

Prototype kettle by Duke.  ;D

Argentflame and HeyJude ogling a Cook'n Kettle

Miss Piggy made a guest appearance.

First we seared some lamb. Don't try this at home, folks!

Flareups are a photographer's favorite, lol.

We got the hang of the searing after a while.

Argentflame in uniform manning the RK.

Lots of real estate on the RK

That's 2 full frenched racks of lamb and 24 chicken thighs cooking indirect at 375F!

Yummy yummy. I love big cuts of lamb!

Chicken coming off the RK.

and a closeup of the chicken. The chicken had a light rub. It was cooked at high heat ~375-400F so the skin was nice and crispy.

Lumpia (spring rolls) were the appetizer. I forgot to take a pic of the contents. Oops.

We also had pancit (noodles) and chicken adobo.

Sorry you missed out Salad and Dazzo! Hopefully this meet up was just a warm up for the Napa meet in 2 weeks. Cheers!

Those pics inspired me.

I saved some of your lamb pics onto my phone.  Next bbq I will try lamb.  (The funny thing is I really hate lamb) but those were some amazing pictures!