Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Platinum vs Performer  (Read 5480 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Platinum vs Performer
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:15:42 AM »
I know that for most their favorite is a Performer.....notice I said most.   I know a lot also love a good ole 22, as do I . 

I won't negate a performer's quality, but I must admit I do not have a burning desire to get one. 

I am really, really happy with my platinum.  I love the table, the lid holder....and think it brings exactly what I need.   Yeah I still need to fill the chimney.....but that's what assistants are for!   ;) ;) ;) seriously though,  the chimney isn't that much of a hassle and I think adds to the experience,  more time outside, talking with my assistant....etc. 

I actually don't see a lot of Platinums in cooking pics.   

Any other Platinum lovers out there? 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Re: Platinum vs Performer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:17:10 AM »
Now a SS is a different story!  No worries about cracking the table, and they look realllyyyy nice.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
Are you talking 2000's Platinum (trimmed down Performer) or the 2010-12 Platinum?

Craig

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:10:13 AM »
Older platinum.   If the newer version is the one with the smaller tables on each side.....I do not like them at all .  They seem impractical.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »
I had a platinum for five years before I got my performer....I was very happy with it...

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »
I have the older platinum and a 2006 performer
Pro's for the performer are-Gas assist,Charcoal bin and its height
I still use a chimney but instead of using firelighters the gas assist gets it going
The older platinum is great but the performer is better
In saying that I bought my performer second hand for a great price and probably would'nt buy one brand new. They cost $800 new over here and really there's nothing they can do that a good ole 22 can't 
Cheers
Joel
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:38:11 AM »
I don't have a performer and my platinum is currently on eBay
However I would LOVE a SS performer
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 02:56:12 AM »
I like the SS Performer I have, but I'm not too impressed with the charcoal bin - it's kind of a hassle getting charcoal out to fill up a chimney. Anyone have a trick for that? Sometimes I end up pulling it out and dumping it, but that can't be the best way. Do little shovels work? Should I just leave the charcoal bagged up in there?

I'm also thinking of converting to a full 20# tank and adding a side burner (I have a NOS Genesis burner to work with) where the bin is now. I can see it in my mind, but I'm not close enough to the grill right now to measure things up. Has anyone ever tried that?

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 05:06:34 AM »
I didn't know there was a height difference.   How much higher are they?  I'm a taller than average woman, so that matters to me.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 05:56:02 AM »
I think the performer is like 3-4 inches higher....

Brian

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 06:19:59 AM »
Yeah, the old Platinums were shorter than Performers. I still say it was a much better design than the later ones that look like a Weber and Char-Broil got drunk at an office party and out came the 2010 Platinum. I'm sure for as much as I dislike the modern Platinum design now, these will be a collectors item in about 20-30 years like the early gas kettles are now. I'm wanting to see if the 26" Performer will be coming out next year. I wouldn't care if it were only in black, a real 26" Performer would be the Holy Grail of the modern Webers! But I'm sure that those will be had for twice that of the sweet Great Pumpkin Ranch!  :o

Craig

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »
Since my grills sit on a deck a ways from the shed, having the dry storage for charcoal is pretty key for me.  Since I got the SS Performer several months back, I've been relishing the ease of just walking out and having a fire underway in a few seconds.  And Marty, it never even occurred to me that I should dump my coals into the charcoal bin-- I just set the bag in there, and still have enough room for gloves, thermometers, etc. 
One of the charcoal people.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 08:41:57 AM »
3-4 inches is a big difference .  That's my only complaint is the height.....I will probably still stick with my platinum.....unless a SS comes along. 

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »
It's this much different....

Brian