Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I have a few questions regarding my new Mastertouch grill  (Read 4599 times)

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
Re: I have a few questions regarding my new Mastertouch grill
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »

Mopping & spritzing are cool, just remember there's heat loss (some, I try to keep it quick & to a minimum) from opening the cooker & the extra moisture added into the cooking process....both will slow down the cooking time some.....
 I may kinda be getting too complex with some of this, but to simplify, I think of grilling a lot like golf....play the ball where it lies....be flexible & roll w/ it as much as possible....

I can clarify this a bit, although I do not know what to say about the cooling the outside, or how it helps but...... I am a spritzer, my favorite spritz to use is hard apple cider I make every year, I reserve a gallon just to spritz on stuff.
I do not just open the kettle at any time to spritz, instead when I do a cook I have set times to open the kettle to check on the load, the coals, or add something to cook, or to do something to the load, such as a flip or a wrap. At these times I spritz.

we all have our own styles based on what we have learned helps our own cooks, as I like to say, this is not rocket science, if it were there would only be one way to do it, we all have our own methods. That is why I love it so much. the fun in meetups and cook offs is sampleing everyone elses food and watching their methods
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »
I guess maybe I should clarify

on long cooks the higher the heat the less moistures

that is just part of grilling, we have different styles, we smoke, we BBQ we grill

I agree a great steak is hot and fast and moist, and a long cold smoke can dry meat out persevering the food.

I guess, I should have said long time and high heat, thanks for asking for a clarification, I could have steered someone so wrong.

Yeah, it's usually that I'm the only bozo that can't get high heat right so I'm forced to "PAY ATTENTION !!!"

See Here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/hyena-brisket-w-taterzilla/msg107984/#msg107984

It turned out in the end, but seems nerve-wracking at times...... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
have not done a LB in years. I should try one again, they actually taste great but are hard not to get shoe leather syndrome
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

zach1234

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 11:21:26 PM »
Regarding hitting super high temps for searing, what temperature you should be monitoring is at the grill level.  That said, I have broken many thermometers where I have had them surpass 700F .  The key is to pile your charcoal in a very focused area (grill baskets are great for this, plus they cause a higher mound of coals which get them closer to the meat.  Another option is to wedge some high-temperature safe materials (fire bricks for example) under the charcoal grate to raise it higher so the coals are closer to the grate.  I would be confident in saying that a full chimney of a nice lump charcoal will give you plenty of heat - plus not many thermometers out there read those high temperatures accurately anyways. (Thermoworks has some high temp probes but not cheap)

With that said, I have to warn you - once you taste the steak you sear on the kettle, you'll be hooked!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:24:49 PM by zach1234 »