News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

How to finish wood handles?

Started by mcgolden, May 08, 2014, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgolden

I apologize if this was covered somewhere else, but I've got 3 wood handles that I pilfered from my WGA to use on my 22".  They're in really nice shape but don't have much of a finish on them.  I'll like to get them nice and shiny and protected.  Maybe even darken them up a bit.  Here's what they look like now.



Any suggestions on how to get a better finish on them?

Thanks!

Harbormaster

I use teak oil on my handles.
Nice finish and it soaks into the wood.
Takes a loooong time to dry.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

1buckie

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hogsy

It's interesting that the GA's handles have a different finish to them to what the kettles do from the same era
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

mcgolden

Yea it's a very flat, cheap finish but I think they can be fixed up pretty nice.

MacEggs

Quote from: mcgolden on May 08, 2014, 09:14:53 AMI've got 3 wood handles that I pilfered from my WGA to use on my 22". 
They're in really nice shape but don't have much of a finish on them. 
I'll like to get them nice and shiny and protected. Maybe even darken them up a bit.

I have had the exact same issue.
I applied some semi-transparent stain (mahogany color). The handles were thirsty for stain, so I went with 2 coats.
Then applied spar varnish "satin", as I thought that semi-gloss, and gloss would be a bit too shiny.
They look real nice now. Sorry, no pics.
Make them laugh, and while their mouths are open, pour the truth in.
Harold Clurman

mcgolden

Thanks for the detailed description. I'll try the same.

Heyjude

Quote from: MacEggs on May 08, 2014, 04:31:47 PM
Quote from: mcgolden on May 08, 2014, 09:14:53 AMI've got 3 wood handles that I pilfered from my WGA to use on my 22". 
They're in really nice shape but don't have much of a finish on them. 
I'll like to get them nice and shiny and protected. Maybe even darken them up a bit.

I have had the exact same issue.
I applied some semi-transparent stain (mahogany color). The handles were thirsty for stain, so I went with 2 coats.
Then applied spar varnish "satin", as I thought that semi-gloss, and gloss would be a bit too shiny.
They look real nice now. Sorry, no pics.

We gotta have pics and show us the brands of chemicals used.. Thanks!   8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

kaz

Marine spar urethane will give u the look your after.
#grubdubs

MacEggs

I used this stuff.




The original WGA handles looked like this.





They now look like this.



Make them laugh, and while their mouths are open, pour the truth in.
Harold Clurman