Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Found a red 26er.....now what?  (Read 2479 times)

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
Found a red 26er.....now what?
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
So, I find out I have a coworker who has an old 26'er.  I knew he was an avid griller/smoker and we trade stories every week about our weekend cooks.  I already knew that he had a SS performer and a 22 run of the mill black kettle.  Last week he mentions something about his "big red one" and my ears perk up  :o.  He got it a few years ago from a coworker (for a price I refuse to share) and uses it occationally when he is cooking for a large crowd.  I inquired about the details and markings on the top vent and he came back with this

Weber Stephen Products co
Bar b que kettle
Arlington Heights Ill

There is nothing on it refering to the patent, so I'm figuring it is from the mid 60's some time.  I haven't seen it in person yet, but he is very trustworthy with anything he says.  Someone at some point installed a modern plastic handle on the top of it, so he never even considered it was old.  He says it is in good condition, with little to no rust.  Just some paint chips and general wear and tear from general use.  The hang up is that he uses it and likes having a 26" kettle around when he needs it, but he said he has no attachment to this particular one.  Now my gears are grinding.........what would you do?  Any clue what it would be realistically worth?  He mentioned maybe trading it for a different 26er (I'm thinking maybe a shiney new one still in the box).

-Keith

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Found a red 26er.....now what?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
Make your co-worker an offer on that baby!  Are you prepared to drop 300 on a new 26 to get this red in a trade?  You better take a look at it first to see for yourself what condition its really in.  This grill doesn't come around too often...
Kettle collector AND cooker!

esq3585

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:00:49 AM »
If you do snag it u can get great genuine looking wooden handles for it .

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
I know what *I* would do....

Snag this brand new 26'er in Fredericksburg for $160 (the asking price) and swap him straight up.
http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/for/4183353657.html
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
I'd find a 26er on CL or eBay that's cheap and offer him a straight trade for the red.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Found a red 26er.....now what?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »
Find a good deal on CL or eBay for a new or slightly used modern one and offer a trade. To Jeff's point... Go check it out and get a visual. If it is indeed a red 26".... See what you can work out regardless of condition. Things can be restored. They are way more elusive then the old black 26"s and even the brown ones it seems.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »
I have no doubt  that he has what he says he has. He's a smart guy and wouldn't jerk me around. He said he'd take some good pics of it this weekend when he has some daylight to work with.  I'd like to have it, but neither of us is in a hurry. I think I'll keep an eye out for a used one and make the trade once I find a suitable replacement for him.  I think that would make us both happy.
-Keith

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 02:36:23 PM »
Just tell him you'll let him borrow it any time with a week's notice... :P
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »
I'm sure he will be happier with a 26 otg. Most people are, but I'm not most. ;) Get on that grill! :o

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
That's a hard choice. I would prefer the OT and the lid bale but I am not a fan of the thermometer and plastic wheels on the new ones. Good luck if you decide to pursue a trade!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AS in SA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 07:09:42 AM »
No pics??  These red 26'rs are pretty rare..... did you actually get one - or was it just a 22?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 07:51:54 AM »
like the others said, try to replace it for him - with a craigslist find, or with a brand new one (they might still be on clearance at home depot!)

The red 26 is pretty freaking rare. I hug mine at least once every week.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 08:07:36 AM »
Its definitely a 26.  he hasn't got me the pics yet, but I will share them when he does.  He already said he would be happier with a newer one with the one touch system, and would be willing to trade it for one.  Neither of us is in a rush to do anything, and it isn't going anywhere in the meantime.  The plan is to check out the pics when he gets them to me.  Then I'll stop by to take a look in person. Then I'm going to keep an eye out for a used 26 and trade him whenever one comes available.  No time table on any of it
-Keith

AS in SA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »
Can't wait to see them.... I'm curious how plastic handles were installed on it - unless they were custom ones, which is definitely possible.  I've never seen a red 26" that didn't have either a metal handle or the 2 rivet wooden handles.  Weber plastic handles are the single screw ones - maybe they drilled out the handle to install it?  Can't wait to see it - definitely my Weber kettle "holy grail".

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
Good luck on this trade deal. Gotta love networking. I have told a bunch of people with eyes on the ground to keep an eye out of kettles for me. I mentioned this to a friends brother  who works for sanitation dept.  He told me that he sees people trashing kettles all the time. ...lovely.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.