Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turning a OTD into a performer  (Read 3065 times)

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
Turning a OTD into a performer
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »
So I got to thinking. I have this SS Performer that could really use a new kettle and top. So why couldn't I convert it. I also have a piece of garbage bowl from a dumpster dive that is in a broken down Platinum cart. This baby has been a good parts bin. So has any body ever tried to remove the bowl mounting brackets from a kettle? I pretty much got it figured out how to do the install on the OTG. Just looking for some info if it's out there. Thanks in Advance

Jon
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Turning a OTD into a performer
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:45:14 AM »
Hi Bluesman, I have tried to remove metal handles from an old 18 3 wheeler and let me tell you that those spot welds are strong! Removing the handle or bracket will leave the bowl porcelain damaged but it sounds like you don't care about that too much. You may also want to consider the fact that you will have to drill your good bowl to install them. If you are handy, maybe you can fab your own? Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »
I have access to a fab shop and could do that. I would still need to get one off for a decent pattern. The bowl I'm robbing has a gaping hole in it were the grate support used to be, so it's already junk. I know I''l have to drill the new bowl, but that shouldn't be an issue. you'll never see the extra nuts on the inside and the bolt holes will be covered by the cart. Thanks for the input
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »
Hi Bluesman, If you were to fab some up, please make a bunch of extras. I am sure that there will be a bunch of interested people!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
Hi Bluesman, If you were to fab some up, please make a bunch of extras. I am sure that there will be a bunch of interested people!

Will do. I do manufacturing and cost engineering for a day job. So I know the roads to go and how to minimize the cost. I have access to fabricators, welders, laser/plasma cutters and even water jet. I need to really rip one of these off and get a good look at it. I can have it designed in Solid Works for the manufacturing part which cuts a pile of money out of it. I could also have the sample part wire framed in a CMM. Lot's of avenues.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »
Wasn't there someone on here that had already suggested they were attempting to make brackets? I would be interested if the price was convenient.

Sent from another planet using Mental Telepathy.

If it breathes, we can cook it!

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 01:29:06 PM »
To me personally having looked at going this route before to make a custom cart. I was thinking of drilling out the spot welds on the brackets with a drill bit that is slightly larger than the spot welds themselves. I work as a mechanic and do small fabrication at work and also worked in the past as a millwright, welder and fabricator building one off food processing machinery for food processing and conveying of food and also having hobbies in hot rods and wood working .  I think by drilling them out at these spots you would create also the spots to bolt them on in the process. Also would give you good templates to go off of.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
I'd just bolt on some small kidney shaped wood shelves or metal on each side. Enough to set a beer or a thermometer atleast. Then the brackets are hidden and with some function. Custom style!
#grubdubs

ccoiv

• Smokey Joe
Turning a OTD into a performer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »
I Enough to set a beer or a thermometer atleast.

Beer! Just beer. Enough of those and to hell with the thermo

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »
The part is more complicated than you might think.  I went through all this with Mesa Azul.  It's a little trickier than meets the eye.  Not saying it can't be done, but it is an oddly shaped part...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
I have a bracket that I cut off a performer that had terminal cancer. I was going to do the same thing with OEM brackets. I can loan it out for tecnincal purposes. Just let me know.
It's really not that complicated of a bracket. All you need is a  CNC machine to cut one ot of stock and then bend it 90 degrees..   8)
PM me if you want some pics and measurements or I could mail it to you.
AJ
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..