Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need ideas on a Heineken kettle restore.  (Read 329 times)

getlego

• WKC Brave
Need ideas on a Heineken kettle restore.
« on: May 21, 2022, 02:41:38 AM »
I’m looking to do a quick restore on a DA code green Heineken for Memorial Day. I’m conflicted on what direction to go. Right now at minimum it needs wheel inserts, ash sweeps, cooking grate and a leg cap. If I spend money I’m not sure if I should keep it original or upgrade it. I’m pretty sure the leg cap was white but I can’t be sure.

I could get an ash bucket, new legs and triangle to make it taller, black or natural ash bucket, wood handles, new wheels or custom inserts. There are so many options out there. Also I have a brand new old style ash sweep with the hex nut that I’ve been saving for a special project. If I put it on here I think it should stay factory original.

Any thoughts??? I don’t have the imagination as many of you guys do on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need ideas on a Heineken kettle restore.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 05:54:05 AM »
I'd add the hex sweeps and an ash bucket. Replace and paint the triangle and add bottle caps to the wheels.  Similar to what @brewtownbeatdown did to his Coca Cola (I will be stealing many of his ideas for my Coca Cola 18).
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

getlego

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 06:13:17 AM »
Holy crap that is amazing looking !

I’ve decided a black ash bucket doesn’t look so nice with the green. I was thinking natural silver until I saw the red ash bucket. That’s just a beautiful grill. I may still go original but that makes me want to have some fun with the Heineken kettle. Custom can’t happen by Memorial Day but maybe later. Thanks for the inspiration.

Gill McGriller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 11:09:37 AM »
As a collectible, I would keep it as stock as possible, if not for posterities sake. I'm sure not many Heineken kettles are around anymore. I'm going stock with my first kettle, a red '75 700 series. Btw, I'm using mine for the first time on Memorial Day weekend, too! Good luck.
1999 red & black Genesis, '75 red 700 Series

getlego

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 08:46:44 PM »

As a collectible, I would keep it as stock as possible, if not for posterities sake. I'm sure not many Heineken kettles are around anymore. I'm going stock with my first kettle, a red '75 700 series. Btw, I'm using mine for the first time on Memorial Day weekend, too! Good luck.

I think you have a good point. I’ve been itching to do a custom but the Heineken is kind of classic. Most of the advertising kettles are 18”. I’ve seen very few 22” with logos. Plus I’m running out of time to get parts so I will see how it goes. My friend always gets me Heineken on the holidays so I might sneak some bottle caps on there. How is that done ???

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 09:50:35 PM »

I think you have a good point. I’ve been itching to do a custom but the Heineken is kind of classic. Most of the advertising kettles are 18”. I’ve seen very few 22” with logos. Plus I’m running out of time to get parts so I will see how it goes. My friend always gets me Heineken on the holidays so I might sneak some bottle caps on there. How is that done ???

You could glue a magnet to the center hub cap...  easy to take off if the need arises

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 02:07:17 PM »

There is a way to customize it, and keep it stock…it’s called spare parts[emoji848].  I kept all the original like new parts, and used spare parts to customize my Coca Cola.  Win-win!!!

Using bottle caps as pushnuts, is relatively easy.  It requires a little patience, 3/8” top hat style push nuts, some liquid epoxy, and the bottle caps.  First you’ll want to remove the liner from the inside of the cap, as best as you can, to give the epoxy a proper surface to bond to.  Mix the liquid epoxy and fill inside of bottle cap about halfway.  Center and set the pushnut into the epoxy.  Let cure for a couple days.  When it’s time to install on the grill, make sure it’s perfectly positioned, because the top hat style pushnuts don’t come off w/o a fight, or damage to the cap and wheel.  It’ll be a grate idea to just make a spare or two.  Use a rubber mallet, or dead blow hammer to tap the caps on GENTLY.  I use a doubled up rag for extra protection, plus it allows you to hold the cap squarely in position w/o your fingers getting in the way. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 02:44:16 PM »
+1 for the spare parts, also way easier (and cheaper) to get parts off of inexpensive 22 kettles