Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A couple changes to my daily drivers  (Read 795 times)

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
A couple changes to my daily drivers
« on: June 22, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »
On the Smoke SSP (regular kettle setup or bro and sear)

I changed the gas assist setup from gen1 to the small canister gen2 and newer. Since I mounted the tank scale upside down and back words I gave it a paint job to cover where the paint came off when I was trying to remove decals.

Also changed out the wheels from some vintage looking ones to these pimped out low pros.

On the C&B SSP  (Smoker for when its just 4 the 4 of us)

Finally bolted down the gen2 control panel to SSP frame, it was up by zip ties, clamps before and only one bolt before.

Moved the formally roti ring, now smoking ring from the stacker to this baby Yoda Rig.

Changed the handle on the table to a Lightsaber bottle opener holder.

Also added the Aura cooking zone grates setup.

On the gen4 Crimson (portex/reverse sear station)

Just added some decals and put nuts on the lid bale but on the outside where the washer usually goes. The cast iron grate doesn't flex obviously so it scraps on the bale when putting it back. Now the bale ends are back enough to not touch it at all when putting in the grates.

Also pictured is my Gasser, it's not really a daily driver but it got star wars decals so it's a keeper and near the deck. [emoji2375]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: A couple changes to my daily drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 07:02:37 PM »
Awesome updates!  I love your mods. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 07:17:33 PM »
NICE!  Looks like you used some gasketing (Nomex, or something else?) at the top and bottom of the roti-ring turned smoking ring. 

Looks like you used one of the round probe gasket things to do double duty as being available for a probe, but also to plug up an opening (I'm guessing the slot) in the roti ring.  Were you able to kind of cram it in the existing slot or did you have to open it up to 1.25 inches, or whatever?
regards,
Hal

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 07:36:11 PM »

NICE!  Looks like you used some gasketing (Nomex, or something else?) at the top and bottom of the roti-ring turned smoking ring. 

Looks like you used one of the round probe gasket things to do double duty as being available for a probe, but also to plug up an opening (I'm guessing the slot) in the roti ring.  Were you able to kind of cram it in the existing slot or did you have to open it up to 1.25 inches, or whatever?

Yep gasket on top and bottom, it's a tab roti so it sucked air bad when it was under the stacker with that 1/4 inch gap,  so I trimmed the bottom and had enough left over so I did the top too.

Filled the whole with washer and bolt.

I did widen the slot just barely, you can't use the hole in the silicone grommet without popping it out  but the slot works fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 03:17:30 AM »
I couldn't sleep well last night & while I was up, I thought that instead of widening the slot in the roti ring, you could try to take a razor blade to the grommet to increase the depth of the "slit" around the circumference.  Thought I'd throw it out there for others inspired by your post.

I remember a thread where someone else use grate straps from a WSM 14 in a roti ring as a stacker.  Obviously, that requires some holes to be drilled, but they can always be plugged with a nut & bolt if someone tried it & doesn't like it.  Since I'm a cheap bastard (at least when there is a cheap solution), I try substituting a couple of small mental corner reinforcer bracket things, like https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Corner-Braces-4-Pack-13542/202950157 and use a lock washer (along with a regular one) to try to prevent it from spinning round.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 04:48:20 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 03:52:24 AM »
That is a sweet line up
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill