Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbie question.  (Read 648 times)

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
Newbie question.
« on: June 04, 2020, 11:34:34 AM »
I just joined having gotten a 22" master touch recently. (intro in the other forum page)
I have a daft question.
In the "Charcoal Grill Owners Guide", on page 8 where they list quantities of different charcoals needed for various purposes they make constant reference to a "Measuring Cup". But they don't list one in the parts & there didn't seem to be one in the packaging?
I'm taking a SWAG that the ash catcher may do double duty?
Or is it something else entirely?
TIA.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Newbie question.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 12:16:38 PM »
I personally don’t measure charcoal for any of my cooks. If I’m going to be grilling for a party or have a nice full 22” kettle then I light 3/4 chimney, spread out the coals and start cooking.

You can always close the vents down to save fuel after you’re done cooking.

You can almost always add unlit charcoal to a lit grill to extend cooking. Time.

Don’t get caught up in recipes measuring quantities or counting briquettes. Just cook and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 12:22:39 PM »
^ This.

Put in enough and close the vents when you're done. If you have any left you can use it next time. After a little bit you'll be able to sort out about how much you'll need.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 02:39:44 PM »
Thanks. I did that first burn today, just to get rid of the funky stuff from manufacture.
I did a chimney full in the 2 baskets & stacked everything together so I only had to do it once.
That chimney full went to 425° (& I let it so any volatiles were gone) with both the bottom & top vents open 100%. then I throttled it back to 50% which dropped it to 375° & just let it run.
It kept going for an hour & 15 minutes.
I guess its ready for tomorrows first seasoning & curing run where I do a mix of everything just to stick some flavor to the insides!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 02:47:05 PM »
So......what’s for supper tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 06:53:48 AM »
Nothing yet, I have a bunch of fairly representative foods seasoned as I usually do, but all scrap ends & so on.
I want to run a long,  slow smoke session with that so I can get used to the hardware & season it up a little as well.
Tomorrow I'm thinking something simple to start.
"Crusader burgers"
1/2 Lb burger marinated in worstershire sauce & double bacon-wrapped.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 09:54:00 AM »
Nice looking burgers