Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tailgating - Monday Night Football - Raiders vs Denver  (Read 1425 times)

Cellar2ful

Tailgating - Monday Night Football - Raiders vs Denver
« on: September 15, 2019, 02:32:45 PM »
My Father-in-law was a season ticket holder when the Raiders played at Frank Youell Field in Oakland (1962-65).  He continued buying season tickets from when the Raiders moved to the Coliseum (1966) until the Raiders moved to Los Angeles (1982).  As a child, my wife would occasionally attend Raider games with her dad at the Coliseum.  My dad also took me to a couple of Raider games when I was a child.  My wife is still a Raider fan and faithfully watches them on TV.  This being the farewell season for the Raiders playing at the Coliseum, we decided to attend last Monday night's Raider game at the Coliseum.  It had been 50 years since we attended a Raider game.

The game started at 7:20 PM, we arrived in the parking lot to tailgate at 3 PM. 

The "Black Hole" fans were quite friendly.

This guy parked next to me showed up with an old Weber SJ he bought at a garage sale for $5, an old 20 lb bag of Kingsford and 4 polish dogs.  No matches, no lighter fluid and no tickets to the game.  I used my Weber charcoal chimney and plumbers torch to lite his briquettes.  They took forever to lite as I'm pretty sure the charcoal had been stored outside in the moisture.  Once the briquettes were lit, he cooked his polish dogs on the rusty cooking grate, turning the dogs barehanded.   He and his buddy did secure tickets to the game from a scalper.   Gotta love tailgaters.

We came a little more prepared.  I did gave my neighbor a couple of our stuffed mushrooms

Oh, then there was a game to.

Pre game ceremonies.  Tom Florez (Raiders Head Coach (1979-1987) and Hall of Fame Raiders Center Jim Otto (1960-1974)

Final Score 

Raiders - 24  Broncos - 16         Just Win Baby!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:17:00 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Monday Night Football - Raiders vs Denver
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 04:05:24 PM »
That score was a little different tonight! Sorry I had to.

Looks like you had a grate time, and may have been the fanciest ones there with the wine glass and real plate.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Tailgating - Monday Night Football - Raiders vs Denver
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 03:24:57 AM »
that looks like it was a lot of fun!!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 05:23:28 AM »
Looks like a great day!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 06:46:56 AM »
Nothing beats tailgating - thanks for sharing the day!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 08:54:30 AM »
Looks like a blast! My tailgating days are over I'm afraid. One thing that sucked about TG was getting out of there and getting home...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 05:35:16 PM »
Jim- your tailgating would make a 49er fan jealous.  Looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 07:05:19 AM »
That's so cool and as a lifelong (despite being embarrassed the last 20 or so years) east-coast Raidiz fan, I'm jealous!

I was 12 watching the Heidi game and didn't know they won until the 6pm news the next day.

How things have changed.  :-[

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Raindog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 08:25:48 AM »
Looks like a good time! We used to tailgate the Raiders but on the dirt parking lot on the other side of the 880. We'd tailgate before and after games to avoid traffic. Met some very interesting people over the years and worst thing that happened was having a Smokey Joe stolen from under the car during Monday night game. I miss that SJ....