Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber charcoal going away?  (Read 1057 times)

au4stree

• WKC Brave
Weber charcoal going away?
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
Has anyone else seen this on Weber's website?  Seems suspicious especially when HD had that clearing out sale a while back.  I still see them at local shops, but the price is still around $20/bag....
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

Transit98

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber charcoal going away?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:26:54 PM »
From what it Looks like they are changing the formula or they are no longer selling it.

I did pick up like 17 bags for 3.50 end of last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 05:29:30 AM »
I believe the only change will be packaging. That plastic bag can be a PITA after a few beers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 06:17:33 AM »
...Or, it will only be available in Europe! Yes, Weber U.S. would do something like that to us Americans! No proof needed.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 10:27:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure they're changing the packaging.
and probably the weight and price too.

As much as I liked the zip-lock concept, the bag Weber chose was not ideal.
The opening is more on the side than the top, which makes pouring charcoal a hassle.
And the ziplock itself is not reliable enough to F with, I find myself just folding the bag over and leaving it.

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »
@Troy , I hope you're right for all those reasons. The bag is surely durable, but the Ziploc closure is a pain. Here's hoping pricing goes down a bit.
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »
This is the response I received about a month ago when I could no longer find it.

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 05:27:22 AM »
I hope they keep making it. It had good burn time and flavor. Not available in Portland right now at my usual haunts. I agree on the bag. It was a pain. I always cut the zip lock off with scissors so it was easy to pour.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 05:44:49 AM »

I hope they keep making it. It had good burn time and flavor. Not available in Portland right now at my usual haunts. I agree on the bag. It was a pain. I always cut the zip lock off with scissors so it was easy to pour.

I agree. A full load in the wsm would last every bit of 16 hours. It was really incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 06:58:39 AM »
I'm pretty sure they're changing the packaging.
and probably the weight and price too.

As much as I liked the zip-lock concept, the bag Weber chose was not ideal.
The opening is more on the side than the top, which makes pouring charcoal a hassle.
And the ziplock itself is not reliable enough to F with, I find myself just folding the bag over and leaving it.

I agree with you all around.  I found that if I folded the top of the bag over backwards I could get the ziplock to close easily, but like you most of the time I just folded the bag over and called it a day.  Opening more on the side than the top was okay for filling a chimney but a pain in the butt for adding coals to a hot grill directly from the bag.

Hopefully the new packaging will have a lower price.  I loved it when I got 26 bags on clearance two years ago.  I'm using a more expensive lump these days so I shouldn't complain about the price....but the Rockwood Lump I am using lights twice as fast as the Weber Briquettes last as long if not longer and burns even cleaner.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!