Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Look for ideas to help with an old bowl vent  (Read 627 times)

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
Look for ideas to help with an old bowl vent
« on: March 31, 2019, 09:13:38 PM »
Hey guys, I picked up this brownie tonight and one of the bowl vent is in need of some help.  I'm really hoping I don't have to remove the vent from the bowl to make the repair.  I'm open to any and all ideas.  TIA
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Look for ideas to help with an old bowl vent
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 03:24:22 AM »
I’d just try to reshape it by pressing it down, I’ve had some luck with slightly misshaped vents before, nothing this extreme.
Maybe a rubber mallet would help...
I’d guess it’s gonna have to come off though, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 07:12:12 AM »
I first slip a piece of rubber shelf/drawer liner between the vent and the bowl.  Hold one side of the vent flat against the bowl with one hand while tapping the opposite side flat with a small ball peen hammer.  Keep working around the vent until it flattens out.  I've used this method many times and have never chipped any porcelain.  Then use a set of long needle nose pliers to bend the tabs back straight.  Just make sure you bend at the fold and not bend the entire vent up.  Or, bring it by my house next time you come through the area and I'll fix it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:16:29 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »
@Cellar2ful Thanks for the mat tip.  I have one I'm going to have to bend back in shape.  I was going to try a rubber mallet.  If that doesn't work, I probably have a small ball peen hammer laying about.

I first slip a piece of rubber shelf/drawer liner between the vent and the bowl.  Hold one side of the vent flat against the bowl with one hand while tapping the opposite side flat with a small ball peen hammer.  Keep working around the vent until it flattens out.  I've used this method many times and have never chipped any porcelain.  Then use a set of long needle nose pliers to bend the tabs back straight.  Just make sure you bend at the fold and not bend the entire vent up.  Or, bring it by my house next time you come through the area and I'll fix it.

regards,
Hal

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 05:51:35 PM »
I agree with WNC. To get the right snugness you’ll have to take it off; I’ve never been able to get the fit right while the vent remained on. Drill it out and replace it with a new nut & bolt.  I’ve reshaped numerous vents by rubber mallet.  Shape it with a little bit more of a sharper angle then press it back into place.

Have fun restoring it.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 05:24:06 AM »
I’ve had the best luck taking it off.   It makes cleaning and reshaping it easier.   Plus you can use some stainless hardware and never worry about that rivet giving up the ghost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk