Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n Sear Question  (Read 1039 times)

networkn

• Happy Cooker
Slow n Sear Question
« on: January 13, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »
So where I come from (New Zealand), SNS is the equivalent of $200 (with the griddle addon it's $300), which isn't cheap. I am trying to decide if it's something I should spend that kind of money on or make do with either:

The Weber Charcoal holders I currently have, in conjunction with the Snake Method with a container of boiling water to act as a heat sink, or stump up and buy the SNS.

We BBQ around 10-12 times a year so I am not as serious as you guys, but I still appreciate great BBQ. I'd like to be able to do good brisket but I have never pulled that off so far. I have managed to do great ribs, rotisserie using the weber attachment (which was also very expensive but I wouldn't be happy without).

The big problem I have it getting the BBQ TO temperature, not as much once it's there. Seems quite hard to get it to 110c to start with. Usually takes about 2 hours to reach and stay there.

Any advice appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:30:59 PM by networkn »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Slow n Sear Question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 03:33:08 PM »
Hi.   I have the sns and the Weber baskets.  I’ve also done many snakes.  I’ve made great bbq with all of them.  The baskets and the snakes should work fine.  $200 is not a great value compared to what you have.   The sns makes life a little easier not incredibly better.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »
I’d pass on the sns if I were only going to use it a handful of times. For that amount of money, I’d spend it on a prime piece of brisket.

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »
As a sns owner please don’t spend that amount of money on it. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love mine but I got free shipping. You can make the Weber baskets work for an average of one cook per month. If you were to say you’re doing 10 cooks per month I’d say go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 06:39:09 PM »
I’d pass on the sns if I were only going to use it a handful of times. For that amount of money, I’d spend it on a prime piece of brisket.

If you use the SnS as intended and use it a lot. It's worth it. Otherwise there are work around methods that do the same. Only you can decide.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 08:14:11 PM »
SnS is a fine product and I really like mine, which was given to me as a gift.  But, it is not a "must have".  You can still make great brisket and other low n slow meats without it using snake method or some fire bricks and modified minion method. 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 09:40:41 PM »
I rarely use my SNS for Low and Slow (I'd do a snake burn or use my WSM).

I wondered about getting an SNS for an older flat top 26. I opted to save my $$$ and use the Weber baskets/do a snake burn instead.

cajunrph

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
SnS owner here and for that kind of money I'd pass on it. There are many methods to smoke on a Weber kettle. It's a nice option to have but my no means is it worth the $500 for the pan and the SnS. Those baskets or the snake method work just fine in the end of the day. I'm sure you could buy another kettle for that price. I'd say pass on the SnS.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

networkn

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 04:57:23 PM »
Thanks, seems like I might just give it a miss. Nice to have, but at that price, probably not worth it, unfortunately.

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »
Agree im in Canada and i would be looking @ $200 minimum...i have been getting great results with stock baskets/FireBricks and Snakes for low & slow...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 01:24:54 PM »
Welcome to WKC!

I have yet to buy a SnS... snake or minion have been working well for me for low and slow.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
I've been using the SnS since they first came out.  I'd say I use it on at about 50% of my cooks (Vortex and baskets making up the other ±50%).

I guess I might pay, even double, if I knew that I would be using it on half of my cooks.  But it's hard to predict.  We've got others that use the Sns all the time, like me, and another bunch have see no need for it.

Sorry, that probably didn't help much . . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna