Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP igniter  (Read 1028 times)

Dgallag339

• Smokey Joe
SSP igniter
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:42:58 PM »
I am looking at a sweet SSP, I asked if the gas assist works and they said it needs a new ignitor. Are they available, difficult to fix? What is the most you have or would consider paying for SSP in really good shape?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 12:57:05 PM by Dgallag339 »

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
Re: SSP igniter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 01:45:09 PM »
Very common part 40826404 anywhere from $16 to $20. I offered $150 for a red SSP and just before I went to pick it up the seller gave it away!!!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »
I probably have a spare igniter you can have, now go get that SSP!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:20:38 PM »
You can add the battery powered button from the newer models if that strikes your fancy.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/electric-start-on-performer-ss-conversion/msg139429/#msg139429

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 05:14:30 PM »
I've rehabbed about 10-15 Performers, and 95% of the ignitors are 'fixed' with a bit of gentle cleaning.

First:  don't be rude... if a seller says their burner doesn't ignite, agree with their wise assessment, give it a half-hearted attempt, and nod while you note that will cost a bit to fix.  Then reduce your offer accordingly. 

Second:  once you get home, carefully blow or suction out the burner tube.  Most of the time that's all the fix you'll need.  In other situations, you'll need to carefully remove the actual ignitor and gently clean it... maybe an emery cloth or a wire brush to clean the tip.  Then put it all back together and *pop*, you're back in business. 

I recently had a seller authoritatively inform me that his tank was empty and his burner was broken.  I took it home and it lighted right up, plenty of fuel in the tank. 
One of the charcoal people.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »
I've rehabbed about 10-15 Performers, and 95% of the ignitors are 'fixed' with a bit of gentle cleaning.

First:  don't be rude... if a seller says their burner doesn't ignite, agree with their wise assessment, give it a half-hearted attempt, and nod while you note that will cost a bit to fix.  Then reduce your offer accordingly. 

Second:  once you get home, carefully blow or suction out the burner tube.  Most of the time that's all the fix you'll need.  In other situations, you'll need to carefully remove the actual ignitor and gently clean it... maybe an emery cloth or a wire brush to clean the tip.  Then put it all back together and *pop*, you're back in business. 

I recently had a seller authoritatively inform me that his tank was empty and his burner was broken.  I took it home and it lighted right up, plenty of fuel in the tank.

Excellent points all. I’ll add that I’ve had 2 where it really helped to clean out the orifice hole on the brass piece on the gas supply end of the tube. I think I used a pin or sewing needle to clean it out.

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 07:27:21 AM »
Not a problem to get...I can get them for you too...they’re fairly inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 05:47:04 PM »

Excellent points all. I’ll add that I’ve had 2 where it really helped to clean out the orifice hole on the brass piece on the gas supply end of the tube. I think I used a pin or sewing needle to clean it out.

@ClubChapin is absolutely right-- that orifice is the other typical problem.  Very rare that these simple treatments don't fix the problem!
One of the charcoal people.

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 06:16:22 AM »
I just did a quick video on cleaning the orifice on my performer last month.

https://youtu.be/ZZyABaYzdTU

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dgallag339

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice.