Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Outdoor Fireplace firepit wood handles, replace with plastic?  (Read 1168 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
I've seen one person comment that implies the wood handles on the firepits deteriorate faster than those on a regular grill, because of the heat, & that you should just replace them with some of the plastic ones.

I thought the firepits tend to be less likely to have a cover & also that they are less likely to be pulled inside a garage, under a back porch, under a roof soffit, or other structure that partially shelters them from the elements, so that might be a bigger factor.

Wondered if anyone treated their wood handles on a firepit with spar varnish, or something else, & how they held up to the heat. I like the look of wood handles, but figure they'd be better used elsewhere if the firepits really do chew them up & spit them out.

I was debating on whether to use plastic on my firepit & save it's wood handles for a grill (they will need some sanding & refinishing with either way) or leave them on.  I plan on keeping it covered, but you never know.

Also, I'm assuming there is nothing you can really do to prolong the life of the steel ring.  I'm guessing even high heat paint gets eaten away & if you put oil on the rust, it will just burn off. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 08:48:04 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Weber Outdoor Fireplace firepit wood handles, replace with plastic?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 01:13:49 AM »
Mine were brand new, the firepit was never used.  After the first fire, the handles were cooked.  One cracked in half.  I wish I would have replaced them and repurposed those pretty handles on another grill.  I replaced them with nylon reinforced weber handles.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 05:40:29 AM »
I ahave one of the newer fireplaces with bamboo handles, and mine split within the first few years. I'd be concerned about the plastic handles burning, but they may not be worse than the wood.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 06:55:29 AM »
Thanks for your comments about your experiences @captjoe06 & @cbpeck.

I'm guessing I've got older wood handles, but I'm not certain. 

I did notice that the underside of the handle (the bottoms) do not seem contoured like the ones on the older kettles.  Does anyone know the wood ones made like that or if it indicates they are the bamboo version?

Also, does anyone know if the wood handles on a firepit will last if you sand them down, stain them & spar varnish them? 

I'm kind of leaning on the resin type handles & maybe saving these for a grill unless someone has decent experience with the wood handles.
 on a firepit
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:59:06 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »
My fire pit handles were in great shape up until I left it covered for a while...now they are moldy greenish brown.  I was planning on doing a refresh with a quick sand, maybe stain, and polyurethane.  I haven't noticed any problems from the heat.  Mine was in overall great shape when I got, so maybe it's only a matter of time.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »
Interesting.

Now that you mention it, I have an old Brinkmann Sportsman's Elite (or some such nonsense) smoker that I've never used & had covered.  Most of the time on a covered patio but on an uncovered one for the past 4 years.  I got is right before getting my WSM 18, so I never used it (except for the water pan because it was bigger than the ones that came with the older WSM 18s.  I finally dragged it out to take some pics of it in order to get rid of it and it's in great shape, but the handles are slightly discolored (I don't believe they ever had a finish on them).  I'm guessing it would have been worse if it had not been sitting on concrete.

Maybe I'll try sanding, spar varnish, leaving it uncovered, except for maybe pulling it on the patio & covering it up during winter.

My fire pit handles were in great shape up until I left it covered for a while...now they are moldy greenish brown.  I was planning on doing a refresh with a quick sand, maybe stain, and polyurethane.  I haven't noticed any problems from the heat.  Mine was in overall great shape when I got, so maybe it's only a matter of time.
regards,
Hal

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »
I haven't used mine yet but the new handles that came with my fire pit don't look finished in any way. They are a very soft, flaky wood. I put plastic handles on it originally waiting for a chance to use it..  my luck I just found a used fire pit a couple of days ago near me so I can put the new one back in the box for another 10 years :)  the used pits handles were missing so I can take a guess to say that they didn't last either.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:02:04 PM by mdb240 »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 09:39:09 AM »
I added the taco/potato chip heat shield to my fire pit handles. Definitely keeps the handles cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
@Bob BQ  Original welded metal handles or new style bolt ons?

I added the taco/potato chip heat shield to my fire pit handles. Definitely keeps the handles cooler.

regards,
Hal

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 05:57:59 PM »
I don’t believe the fire pit ever had welded on handles. Mine are bolted on, but look like the old style (but they’re silver, not black). I added the taco/potato chip heat shields from new style bolt on handles.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »
@Bob BQ
You're right.  For some reason, I was just assuming they were welded on like the grills. 

Did you leave the old wood handles on or did you replace with newer plastic ones?

If you left the old wood ones on, I wondered how long ago you added the tacos & how the wood is holding up.  Thanks.
regards,
Hal

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »

@Bob BQ
You're right.  For some reason, I was just assuming they were welded on like the grills. 

Did you leave the old wood handles on or did you replace with newer plastic ones?

If you left the old wood ones on, I wondered how long ago you added the tacos & how the wood is holding up.  Thanks.

There were no handles when I got the fire pit a few years ago. I put some old wood ones that I had refinished on it... have not had any problems at all. Just added the tacos less than a year ago.

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 09:26:48 AM »
I left my originals on when I got the fire pit earlier this summer. Had two fires in it so far. Nice piece of goods. No issues with the original handles. At least not so far. I did order a couple extra ones off Etsy just in case. The Etsy ones are on deck should the need arise.