Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to me EZ code daisy wheel 22"  (Read 476 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
New to me EZ code daisy wheel 22"
« on: August 04, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »
So I was wanting a second 22, so I could do things like cook veggies, or a second batch of meat to get my cook times down when Qing.... And I found what looked like a winner on my relatively local Craistlist....

The rig was advertised with a 22" daisy wheel kettle, pretty basic, no ash sweep or anything like that, date code turns out to be EZ which if the site here is right, that would put it at 1998....

It came with a condiment tray, a tool hanger, a pair of coal basket / fences for offset cooking, a bag of KBB, and a couple of bottles of lighter fluid (yuck). I have a friend that has some rural land and he uses lighter fluid, or pretty much anything that will work to light off his burn piles every few years.... And I sure don't need this garbage....

The whole shebang ran me $50.00, and a trip to Katy Texas. If I ran my time as cost it was expensive, but it was a good day in the car with my wife, stopping along the way for Thai lunch, and prepping for BBQ tonight...

Anyway here it is, next to my Jumbo Joe Premium. Mind you, it's not perfect, but then again, I wasn't going for perfect of I would have bought new...

A closer look at the tool hanger. Some surface rust, but some VHT Engine enamel in gloss black will fix that in short order!

The condiment basket, same thing as the tool hooks...

Not sure if you can tell, but there is a reason, the charcoal baskets, that the charcoal stops where it does. Made for perfect elotes tonight!

So tonights cook was 2 racks of spare ribs, 3 lbs of chicken breast fajitas, and Elotes. Now both kettles are just burning down the remaining fuel...

The legs are a hair wobbly and to be honest, I would like to replace the front leg as it has a messed up end and no cap. BUt honestly, not really a big deal. Not a super high value kettle, so I won't have any qualms drilling into the lid to mount a thermometer like I did in the Jumbo Joe Premium and the Smokey Joe Silver.

There are a couple of spots where there are some minor dents in the bowl, nothing soo serious, but the surface rust by the handle, and the surface rust at the bowl can become a real problem if I don't take care of them.... I am thinking about touching htem up as well with the VHT Engine enamel. I am not going for perfect looks, I want to stop rust in its tracks is all...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:45:23 PM by dbhost »
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
Re: New to me EZ code daisy wheel 22"
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 08:11:48 PM »
Your pics are borked dude.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Re: New to me EZ code daisy wheel 22"
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:27:33 PM »
Fixed... Most of the forums I am on, automatically resize photos to fit... I keep forgetting this one doesn't.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:46:05 PM by dbhost »
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.