Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Leave or patch and paint?  (Read 757 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Leave or patch and paint?
« on: July 31, 2018, 06:55:28 PM »
Picked up a Sequoia last week and overall in really nice me shape.  But the bowl is a little rough. The porcelain is a bit chipped up but is in good usable shape once I replace the bent up dampers. I was wondering if I should patch (JB Weld?) and / or paint with high heat red paint, or just leave as is. Since the bowl is covered by the cabinet, I’m thinking of leaving as is.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Leave or patch and paint?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 07:06:29 PM »
That's a great looking cart, congrats. If you're going to keep it and cook on it, I would paint the pock marks. I touched up a couple of my cookers with high temp paint b/c the dark marks are too distracting. Now I don't see them and those kettles look better, IMO.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 07:09:15 PM »

That's a great looking cart, congrats. If you're going to keep it and cook on it, I would paint the pock marks. I touched up a couple of my cookers with high temp paint b/c the dark marks are too distracting. Now I don't see them and those kettles look better, IMO.

Didn’t patch, but painted?  That would be an easy fix.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »
If it gets hot the paint will likely turn black anyway. I’d just clean the rust spots with 0000 steel wool then heat the grill and season them with cooking oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 09:00:09 PM »

Didn’t patch, but painted?  That would be an easy fix.

Yeah it’s pretty simple. I clean the overspray with a blade then 0000. I know the red is holding up real well and hasn’t darkened yet. It’s been a year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:35:45 PM »

If it gets hot the paint will likely turn black anyway. I’d just clean the rust spots with 0000 steel wool then heat the grill and season them with cooking oil.

x2.  I had one that I painted previously.  Although it came out nice I wish I would have just oiled them.  I personally like the added character.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club