Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Accessories - What's your take on Quality  (Read 997 times)

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
Weber Accessories - What's your take on Quality
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »
Ordered  up another charcoal starter and next thing you know, I ordered 2 rib racks and the expansion shelf for the SG - Weber branded

The expansion rack seems okay.
Not sure about the rib racks. The profile is long, but each ~frame~ is only attached to the base by 2 tack welds.
Anyhow, one arrived with one of them completely broken off the tack weld

My current rib racks is by Broil King. Much smaller in length, but it's built like a truck
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:57:55 AM by mobiledynamics »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Accessories - What's your take on Quality
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:51:44 PM »
I have two versions of the rib racks and both have held up fine even though the live outside under my uncovered performer when not in use.  One is 10-15 years old and other is 5 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 03:46:57 PM »
My issue with the Weber rib racks is not the build quality, but the poor design.  I've never cared for any rib rack that is rounded like the Weber rib rack.  Due to the rounded sides, it doesn't properly hold a rack ribs upright and allows ends of the ribs to flop all over the place on each other.  There are many better no-name designs out there for rib racks.  My preference for a rib rack is one that is wide and tall to prevent flopping and also with enough space to give good separation between the racks.
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 04:14:40 PM »
Which one Remo. My former/current RR is the Broil King. I picked it up as the it was a very high quality RR.
It was good enough for me on my WSM

Sold my WSM  and got me a Summit Charcoal. I bough the expansion shelf after reviewing the smokeware shelf.
The Broil King has handles that take up space so I figured I'd pick up a pair of the RR and see if both would fit the Summit Grate.

The tines on my Broil King are solid. No movement. The Weber...it's got some play. I suspect a hard knock during shipping, and the tines literally just broke off the spot weld

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 07:13:19 PM »
I have this one - https://www.amazon.com/Man-Law-BBQ-Products-MAN-V9/dp/B005GYFX3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529118300&sr=8-1&keywords=Man+law+Rib+Rack
Although it has rounded corners, it is plenty wide to prevent the floppies.  I can't say it's built like a tank, but it has served me well.  But, then again, I don't use it too often. 

If you're looking for a tank RR that will last forever, you might consider this one.  I haven't tried it, but I've read on other forums that people love this one.  It's a little pricey, but it's a lot of metal. - http://www.southernsteamers.com/rib-racks.htm  It can hold 9 racks.  Although not a Weber, it looks like the SUMMIT of rib racks. 
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:15:08 PM »
I have the Weber rib rack/roast holder I bought on clearance for $5 and only have used it with a turkey air drying over night in the fridge.

I told my wife Weber products are the best so she bought me a set of tongs and a spatula. The tongs are nice and sturdy, but what I dont like about them is the tips on them are angled upward and for me are hard to use.

I much prefer the .99 ones from Walmart, cheap, easy to use. I have 3 sets in the drawer so I dont have to wash during a cook.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 10:50:07 PM »
   Would those tongs look like this, if so then you got sausage tongs.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »
Noticed that the new charcoal starter felt awefully light - aka, one could bend/dent the sheetmetal somewhat easily.

Grabbed my older 11-12'ish year old chimney and the sheetmetal is def. thicker than the new one