Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked Up A Cool Old 22 in MBH Black Kettle - OfferUp for FREE!  (Read 697 times)

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
Wow, I happened to be on OfferUp and came across a listing for "Grill". It was a black MBH that looked halfway decent - for FREE!
OK, it isn't perfect, but it does have all three bottom vents and no readily apparent significant damage. I will have to clean it up in the daylight to get a better assessment. But, hey, it was FREE! It even has one of the old charcoal rails, of course very rusty.

I am looking forward to making this one look better and unlike my 18" 49'er find I plan to actually USE this one. It will make a nice pairing with the red MBH I bought from Charlie. I have finally had time to give that one a fun first use. I got to see a kettle blush!

Here's a few pics:

I am guessing this is a 1975. What do you all think? The wheels look old, but they are the plastic ones with the Weber engraved white-walls. On the other hand, the top vent says "Bar-B-G Kettle".
Custom Platinum One Touc, Red Patent Pending "Aristocrat" 26, Red 22 MBH, Black '00 Flat-top 26, Black 22 MBH, and '74 Black "49'er" 18. And too many projects!

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
Re: Picked Up A Cool Old 22 in MBH Black Kettle - OfferUp for FREE!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 06:44:15 PM »
p.s. The only sad thing was that when I showed the "seller" a picture of my restored 18" kettle he said that he had the ash pan "somewhere". He looked but couldn't find it. It was free, so I couldn't push the issue. I have already contacted Jeff about getting a replacement. This is a really GREAT club!
Custom Platinum One Touc, Red Patent Pending "Aristocrat" 26, Red 22 MBH, Black '00 Flat-top 26, Black 22 MBH, and '74 Black "49'er" 18. And too many projects!

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »
Show the bottom vents.
Large or small tabs.

Either way a great cooker.

Cleaning and breaking in a 77 res head freebie as we speak.
Photos to follow.

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »
I’d take that all day everyday, Good pick up!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 08:42:50 PM »
Nice score! Congrats!

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »
I looked this morning. The bottom vents have the large tabs. This one seems to have been made during that time of transition. Using our club guide, it seems the vents would indicate it is no earlier than 1975 while the top vent indicates it is no later than 1975. The wheels seem to be a little more fluid. Of course, they could have been replaced at some point.

I am going to stick with 1975. Let me know if some of you way more experienced WKC members agree. Thanks!