Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyone ever seen this accessory before?  (Read 1245 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Has anyone ever seen this accessory before?
« on: April 29, 2018, 07:34:41 AM »
Look at this short bbq video. In the first two minutes, the guy in the video shows some sort of new accessory for a Weber kettle. Does anyone know what this is? Has anyone ever seen this before? Where can I get one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a196JWcQVbk
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Re: Has anyone ever seen this accessory before?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »
Here it is. I just answered my own question. This thing is cool! Does anyone know where I can get this accessory?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKUc17Oxpc
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 07:45:13 AM »
Never heard of it, just goes to show how MANY different gadgets are out there..  Pretty cool, I guess I could put a pie pan under my vortex and get the same idea, almost.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 07:46:31 AM »

Whoa!  That is a sweet accessory.

I found this link, but it says that the site is under construction. Uniquely Australian ….

http://mambo-q.com
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 07:53:36 AM »
Found this, https://www.facebook.com/Mambo-Q-1733291270315381/   says it's $125. and their homepage looks like it's still being "built"
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 07:54:15 AM »
The really ingenious part on the whole contraption is that round, circular flange that blocks direct radiant heat from hitting your food. The heat and smoke rise up around the walls of the kettle instead. Also, did anyone else hear the part where she says the finish is black porcelain enamel, just like a Weber kettle - not painted or powder coated. Sure wish I knew where I could get one of these? Does anyone already have one of these?

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 07:57:31 AM »
@ramsfan , I clicked on the BUY link on their FB page, took me to Ebay, not available anymore... bummer, wonder what happened.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 08:05:24 AM »
Something tells me that unfinished Facebook page and website is about as far as this idea is going to go unfortunately? Look at the dates of the last activity.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 08:07:08 AM »
I wonder if someone here in the US can pick up this idea and run with it? Someone like Cajun Bamdit or ABC Barbeque?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
That's pretty darn neat. I wonder if the goal of doing it in porcelain enamel broke the company, or any one of a dozen other things did.

I'd wager that CB's business model is heavily invested in vertical smoking and that ABC's business model is heavily invested in advocating that the SnS is best for smoking.

Apart from just wanting it as an accessory, a similar effect for say, a Boston Butt could be done by using a water pan from a 18 WSM or Brinkmann. That flange on the Mambo-Q is a neat idea, but even without it, you'd still have heat relegated to the sides so long as the meat lump is centered on the grate.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 10:10:56 AM »
Funny that I've never seen that product before but I've been experimenting with my version for the past year.  Never posted anything as I'm afraid people might think I've lost my mind. So here it is, I'll add captions on the photos so hope you guys can follow.

SS railing attached to the charcoal grate using brackets. It prevents coal from coming to direct contact with the bowl and also makes arranging the coal a breeze.

Modified  2-piece stock pot allows for adjustable height.

The railing makes stacking the lump more convenient as I rarely, if ever use briquettes. I refer to it as "snake easy".

That's how it looks with the grate on. Legs are added to the grate so it sits 1 1/2" above the griddle.  I'll probably add a lip later on the stock pot so it will extend  slightly underneath the Arteflame griddle.

I trimmed 1/4" off the griddle perimeter to increase smoke flow around the edges.

I use this  version on the Caliente stacker. Not sure which version works better as i don't smoke meat that often. Maybe just 4-6 times a year.  Only advantage i can think of is the lesser amount of direct heat as the charcoal distance is much farther away.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:13:55 AM by Jules V. »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
@Jules V. , What the hell is that, have you lost your mind??   LOL, Good for you working on ideas, I have an idea for making a "cake" on a rotisserie that I have played around with.  How is your idea there working? How are you using it?

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 10:53:31 AM »
@Jules V. , What the hell is that, have you lost your mind??   LOL, Good for you working on ideas, I have an idea for making a "cake" on a rotisserie that I have played around with.  How is your idea there working? How are you using it?
I've been using it for smoking and it works  very well. It can maintain a temperature at 230-260F for more than 8 hrs without adding any coals. It can probably last much longer  if you add enough coal at the beginning since it can hold quite a bit. Also, you actually use the whole grate instead of just the middle portion.  Everything cooks evenly and the amount of smoke on the meat is very consistent throughout. This has become my primary smoker as i don't own a wsm.  I was using 2 SnS along with 2 weber roti stacker that has a couple of grates on it but now rarely see any action.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:02:38 AM by Jules V. »