Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Weber Summit Charcoal - observations  (Read 3101 times)

byuself

• Happy Cooker
New Weber Summit Charcoal - observations
« on: March 23, 2018, 02:50:09 AM »
Just did my first cook with a 18lb brisket. I was coming from a 26 inch kettle and used to use the Slow n Sear and also BBQ guru CyberQWeb

I used to cook overnight however there was some interactions as far as adding coals etc.

Last night at about 9pm I lit my summit ( i didn't use the easy jet as it seems this gets the coals too hot so I used a small amount in a chimney.
I set the temp using my bbq guru to 235. it really stayed steady the whole night. and was still holding temp even at 3 pm ( i took the brisket off obviously I just wanted to see how long this thing would go)
Amazing performace however.

I noticed a slight leak in the seal by the back hinge, very minor but irritating.
On the inital test burn to achieve 225 I had to damn near choke off the top and lower vents.
I noticed some smoke coming out of the easy jet tube si i assume air is getting in there also.
The temp gauge is pretty close to my cyberq however still a bit off

has anyone has the same issue with keeping the temps down to 225-230?

the method I used was to fill the charcoal bay up and put about 10 lit coals in minion method on the pit.(kingsford original briquettes)
I had to put the lever just to the left of the smoke position (barely cracked) and top vents barely open (less than the diameter of a pencil)
this seemed to just keep it on the 230 range.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:52:57 AM by byuself »

jacobp

• Smokey Joe
Re: New Weber Summit Charcoal - observations
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:49:10 AM »
Contact Weber about smoke leaks. There's a fix for that.

Try a cook without the guru and see how that goes regarding the temp. I've found that I have better results on the Summit when I don't use the guru.

Also, check out Babyback Maniac's vids on youtube. He mentions that he found that the Summit ran hot for the first couple cooks;

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 04:53:46 AM »
My vents are damn near closed as well. Bottom more than the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 05:14:37 AM »
Runs a little hot for the first few smokes, then settles in.

To run 225 for the earlier cooks, same vent settings. smoke setting on bottom and 1/16-1/8" open on top.

I would try using the gas assist for these types of cooks. To me that's a major upgrade over a traditional Kamado.

byuself

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 05:20:07 AM »
thanks for the replies, good to know as i don't see much stuff posted about this grill besides the baby back maniac videos

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 06:27:37 AM »
Same with me - getting better temp control without the CyberQ. With the CyberQ, I was overshooting the temps. It is all that i was using at first. Now I just use it as a remote temp sensor. I used the heck out of it when I had a WSM but not so much anymore.

When using the CyberQ, I throttled it down by closing the tamper half way. That seemed to help.

What I want is the SmoBot if they ever come out with a version for the summit. Instead of a fan, it uses a servo that opens and closes the top vent (a "robotic damper").
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 07:11:36 AM »
Mine was so closed down I thought there was no way it would keep going.  Never really held at 225.  I had smoke coming out from all around the lid so a new gasket is now on its way.  Hopefully that solves the problem.