Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for advice on remote digital thermometers  (Read 1471 times)

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Looking for advice on remote digital thermometers
« on: November 11, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »
Hey all, I started looking at remote digital thermometers last night. I thought this one seemed decent. Any thoughts?  This is one subject I haven't seen discussed here.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wireless-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B01GE77QT0/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W7190AVFE3D3WRY3YQBF

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Looking for advice on remote digital thermometers
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
Hmm, I don't recall that being much of an issue. If the sending unit has an LCD display, that might not work well in coldest weather. But so long as the signal transmits to where you are you should be good. I suppose the batteries might be affected by the cold if they're not new?

Let's see what the rest of the crew here says. I've only used (a Maverick) a couple times in colder weather and it wasn't a problem.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »
Here is my .2. I have a Maverick 733..it works good but absolutely
Impossible to set up.. way too many button strokes .. then I bought a grill eye
Wow .. is it fantastic!! Up to 6 probes. It iPhone app is floorless and super easy to set up..
  If I didn’t get that one I would have bought the Smoke..
Ps I also have an igrill.  It’s ok.  Bluetooth has limitations
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 11:16:38 PM »
If the sending unit has an LCD display, that might not work well in coldest weather.

Does the display get permenantly damaged?

Recently bought a performer deluxe (I've already taken that LCD timer inside) and a smoke this week that was shipped today. I cant wait to try it but forgot about the LCD and my cold weather lol. Saw it has a magnet maybe I can stick it close enough to the bowl on the metal performer table that it can stay warm??

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 11:35:58 PM »
If the sending unit has an LCD display, that might not work well in coldest weather.

Does the display get permenantly damaged?

Recently bought a performer deluxe (I've already taken that LCD timer inside) and a smoke this week that was shipped today. I cant wait to try it but forgot about the LCD and my cold weather lol. Saw it has a magnet maybe I can stick it close enough to the bowl on the metal performer table that it can stay warm??

Permanent damage won't happen.  The L in LCD is liquid.  These types of displays can gel up below 32 degrees and quit registering.  A lot of marine depth finders have this problem.  I could see close proximity to the kettle keeping the sending unit warm enough to work.  Pure speculation on my part.  My new thermometer is on the way.  I look forward to trying it.

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 01:24:34 AM »
Cool, thanks Grillagin I just dont want to wreck it carelessly trying it out lol, like to at least enjoy it a little before I wreck it lol.

Which one did you decide on?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »
Use caution if placing the sending unit close the bowl. We've seen pictures of melted boxes. What happens is that there's very little delta between too cold and too hot. A couple inches away might be cold, and an inch closer could melt it. Just hang it from one of the kettle handles.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »
Cool, thanks Grillagin I just dont want to wreck it carelessly trying it out lol, like to at least enjoy it a little before I wreck it lol.

Which one did you decide on?

It arrived today.  It should be a good starting point for me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »
Use caution if placing the sending unit close the bowl. We've seen pictures of melted boxes. What happens is that there's very little delta between too cold and too hot. A couple inches away might be cold, and an inch closer could melt it. Just hang it from one of the kettle handles.

This looks pretty safe to me.  The clip can be turned around to hold it upright on a side table.

[attachment deleted by admin]

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 11:11:44 PM »
Nice, its going to be convenient not having to lift that lid to know whats really going on.