Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Performer Platinum  (Read 1603 times)

bubbatdog

• Happy Cooker
Weber Performer Platinum
« on: April 30, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »
Just bought and used for the first time today.  Good to be using lump again after a year without my Big Green Egg.   Question for you veterans.  I like to grill a lot and would like to know if you always use the baskets?  Also, after I grilled tonight, the grill took about 5 hours to cool down enough to put the cover on.  I used the baskets and left the coals in the baskets after I snuffed it.   Any help is appreciated.   

Thanks

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Weber Performer Platinum
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
Hi Bubba, Welcome to the site! I don't always use the baskets but they help to keep the coals confined to one area if I need multiple heat zones. My kettle shuts down to warm in about 20 min after shutting all the vents. Are you sure the top and bottom vents were closed? If so, check for leaks- make sure the lid isn't tweaked and that the ash sweeper is getting a good seal at the bottom of the bowl. It is possible that the previous owner didn't assemble the sweeper properly.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bubbatdog

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:33:57 PM »
Figured out that if I dump the coals out of the baskets it cooled in 20 minutes.  I just didn't know if they suggested you using the baskets for everything. 

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 07:32:04 PM »
On my performer, I made a charcoal ring that sits right above the gas assist. (moved the baskets to the OTG)
After I pull the food from the grill, I'll shut the lid & bowl vents.  After dinner & cleaning up the kitchen, the grill is usually cool enough to cover. 
And the lid thermometer isn't registering anything either.  5 hours?  Doesn't seem right at all.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:42:43 PM »
even with the baskets, i can snuff my performer out in 20 minutes unless it's really windy.

when i first got it, it took longer. the biggest air leak was at the igniter tube. Eventually it got gunked up enough to not be a leak hole.