Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Scored a Wood Dale off CL today  (Read 3250 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Scored a Wood Dale off CL today
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 07:20:35 PM »
@greendoorchad lol I know, I caught that.
@stubblebum it unfortunately has non-Weber wheels. Looking at yours I realize the ash pan with clips is missing too. May be hard for me to find those. Yours should clean up beautifully.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 03:04:36 AM »
I texted him telling him I was interested in purchasing the grill, but couldn't get there until after 4:00. No response. I called around 10:00, and asked if the grill was sold and he said it was. I thanked him and moved on. We never had a formal agreement to pick up after 4:00. I understand the stress you must have had hoping and waiting. Again congrats on the grill. It really looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 03:21:25 AM »
@greendoorchad lol I know, I caught that.
@stubblebum it unfortunately has non-Weber wheels. Looking at yours I realize the ash pan with clips is missing too. May be hard for me to find those. Yours should clean up beautifully.
I think mine should clean up really nice. The outside has a thick layer of soot and the inside is completely caked with a thick preservative layer of grease. The ash pan with clips is missing but it must have been replaced recently. For how dirty the grill is, the replacement ash pan has a light layer of dust but is otherwise unblemished, without a dent or bend in it.

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 03:46:39 AM »
@stubblebum. Are you sure it had the old clip style ash pan?  I don't recall if all the Wood Dale grills had those?  I think they had twist on pans also?  Maybe a Craig question.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 05:36:17 AM »
Thumb!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 07:09:14 AM »
I am not sure if it had the old clip style ash pan or what the correct type pan is. The twist on pan that is on it is in suspiciously new condition for a grill that has as much smoke and grease on it as this one. On the other hand, all of the vents and leg sockets are really nice condition despite the look of the blackened top vent.
The other grill in the picture has a rolled edge pan on it with spring clips on the legs. I bought that grill because I was hoping the convenience of dealing with one buyer would be the reason the seller picked me. In one email he stated that "the one grill has a lot of interest". I also thought that maybe the ash pans had been switched when looking at CL pictures. I don't think that is the case because it looks like it would be a pain in the rear to compress and slide those spring clips on and off the legs.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 08:04:24 AM »
I'd say straight edge twist on would be correct.

And if older, it could have had an ash triangle / utility shelf.

Nice grill.
Dude, relax your chicken.

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 08:55:45 AM »
@Rub I guess the non-Weber wheels would explain why one of my first thoughts was "Damn those treads sure look like they are in good shape". I guess I don't know enough to recognize that they were replacements.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:38 AM »
Wood Dale era grills have the U cut outs with clips.  We have see 3 or 4 Wood Lid handle wood dales.  However, these were most likely made in Arlington Heights in early 1964 left over Wood Dale vents were used.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »
Congrats! This stings a little. I just missed out on one a month ago at an estate sale.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:06:10 PM by AZ Monsoon »

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 02:04:52 PM »
Is that the wrong ash pan on that, too? Or am I just not seeing the clip?

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 02:37:50 PM »
I asked about the j clip a while back, trying to get a closer date on my Wood Dale. I believe it was @Craig that informed me 62' was the last year they were used.
Still need a 22” yellow

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 02:41:03 PM »
 The earliest appearance of the twist pans came late in the MLH Wood Dale run. When the handle was pointed TOWARDS the lid vent. But both styles have been observed with later Wood Dale kettles.

HOLY GRAILS: 1960s Glen Blue 22 aka The Imperial, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »
So according to Craig it sounds like it's possible for WDs to have either/or type of ash pan. I don't see me stumbling across a j clip pan anytime soon, so mine will get a twist for now.
@stubblebum I would imagine that is the correct pan (it is a j clip) on the one that got away from @AZ Monsoon , which is a beauty by the way. Sorry it slipped by you.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »
I will try to document mine more closely, as soon as I can. Mine has square tabs, MLH points to the vent, j hook pan, thick steel white wall wheels and straight rubber tread. I was putting mine at about 62'. Mine is a 26" though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:50:50 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow