Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak Briquettes  (Read 2954 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Royal Oak Briquettes
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 04:15:05 PM »
I haven't opened my Weber charcoal yet either. I'm really interested to know the differences between fewer larger briquettes or more smaller briquettes. Love Stubbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »
Open it up and use it. The Weber stuff is great. Stop saving and start using.
Love the way it ran in the last snake I made. Use less than you are used to. I made my snake 2 on the bottom one on the top. Ran perfect at 260. For direct cooks I have used less also.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 04:32:22 PM »
I've never used stubbs but I'll be on the lookout for when it goes on sale and grab a few bags to try. Really enjoying the weber right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 05:15:09 PM »
I finally got into my sample bag of the Weber and worked great in the SNS for a bone in turkey breast over the weekend.   Used the hot and fast to cook at 350 deg. Realized I did not need to use as much as I did for the 2-1/2 hr cook.   Lots left and was surprised it did not burn down much.   It took a couple hrs to cool down.  The next morning I was shocked how little ash there was.    Glad I caught the $5.98 Target sale.   Don't think I would pay $20 a bag unless doing long slow and low cooks

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 05:44:32 PM »
Hearing good stuff about the Weber fuel. Hope the prices stay down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 05:45:55 PM »
I finally got into my sample bag of the Weber and worked great in the SNS for a bone in turkey breast over the weekend.   Used the hot and fast to cook at 350 deg. Realized I did not need to use as much as I did for the 2-1/2 hr cook.   Lots left and was surprised it did not burn down much.   It took a couple hrs to cool down.  The next morning I was shocked how little ash there was.    Glad I caught the $5.98 Target sale.   Don't think I would pay $20 a bag unless doing long slow and low cooks

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Def better than KBB in my opinion; I think $13.98 is a good sweet spot in price; big enough upcharge over KBB/Stubbs to denote it as a premium product, but not as cost prohibitive as $20 a bag.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »
I am having very good luck with the RO Ridged Briquettes. I think that there new formula is a big improvement over KBB, and the price has been good all summer. If I'm buying limestone, borax and anthracite I don't want to pay too much for it.

I love Stubb's, RO Chef's Select, and Kingsford Professional, but the premium all wood Briquettes can be pricey. Now Weber enters the fray with an MSRP of $1/lb!

I picked up some of the Weber charcoal at Target today for $5.98/lb.   I am looking forward to trying it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 12:43:06 AM »
Never had a good experience with Royal Oak. YMMV with Royal Oak. My go to charcoal is Coshell, followed by either Stubbs or Weber charcoal (now that it is cheaper). KBB is maybe 1 step above Royal Oak.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Groovinn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
I like the Royal Oak Chef Select. Always the same consistency in the way it lights, the way it burns and the heat value. To me that's a good thing