Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Fuel Holders and Smoking  (Read 1210 times)

fadsarmy

• Happy Cooker
Weber Fuel Holders and Smoking
« on: July 27, 2017, 01:41:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well. I just bought the Weber Master touch which came with a pair of briquette holders. My main intention is to use it as a smoker. Do people use the briquette holders for smoking? I searched the web but found that most people use other methods like the snake or purchase some sort of kit like the slow 'n sear kit.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber Fuel Holders and Smoking
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 02:41:49 AM »
The baskets are fare. The mostly protect the side of your kettle. The SnS is exceptional. An outstanding accessory. I use it more that anything. A little expensive but well worth the money. Also the matching drip n griddle makes a wonderful set for nearly all your cooks. I recommend both. But get the SnS plus for the 22 inch kettle. You smoke slow by building a small fire in the corner. Maybe 12 Briquettes, and fill the rest of the area with unlit briquettes. Oh and use a chimney. No chemicals.

https://abcbarbecue.com/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:45:08 AM by Joetee »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 03:02:42 AM »
Welcome!  There are many methods to smoke on the kettle and the truth is they all work great.

I've been smoking on the kettle for several years and have not tried any accessories.

Smoking on a kettle can be as simple as placing a water pan on one side and banking half of a chimney of lit coal in the other and putting a chunk of wood in the coal. Or the snake method works fantastic. You don't even need the baskets for that.  Baskets also work. You really can't lose. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »
I have tried most methods in my kettle, I prefer the snake cause I can set it up and leave it for hours without checking on it. The slow n sear is on my list of things I will be getting soon. I rarely use water pans when I smoke but the SNS makes it easy.
When I smoke big meals or huge hunks of meat I use the WSM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kamado_fan_UK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
The kettle makes a great smoker-the SNS accessory is brilliant-I think that the addition of water as a heat sink is the key to low and slow on the kettle-happy smoking

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:59:52 AM »
Since I now cook almost exclusively on my 26er, the only thing I use the charcoal baskets for is high heat cooks, like when I'm cooking a couple of burgers or doing some kabobs.  As far as low & slow cooks, I've done it all and have settled in on the SnS - I use a 22" model on my 26er.

The thing to do is for you to try things out for yourself. 

There are members here who thing the SnS, or the Vortex, are the biggest wastes of money and totally unneeded because they can do everything without them . . and they're not wrong!  But for me the expense was well worth it, and I'm not wrong either.

So, lay out a snake, load up the baskets, given 'em a whirl for a couple of cooks.  You may decide, "Hey, this really works for me!"

Down the road, if you want, pick up a SnS.  I think you'll be very happy ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 10:24:50 AM »

Since I now cook almost exclusively on my 26er, the only thing I use the charcoal baskets for is high heat cooks, like when I'm cooking a couple of burgers or doing some kabobs.  As far as low & slow cooks, I've done it all and have settled in on the SnS - I use a 22" model on my 26er.

The thing to do is for you to try things out for yourself. 

There are members here who thing the SnS, or the Vortex, are the biggest wastes of money and totally unneeded because they can do everything without them . . and they're not wrong!  But for me the expense was well worth it, and I'm not wrong either.

So, lay out a snake, load up the baskets, given 'em a whirl for a couple of cooks.  You may decide, "Hey, this really works for me!"

Down the road, if you want, pick up a SnS.  I think you'll be very happy ! ! !

BD

Very well said!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum. 

I use the Weber baskets all the time in my 18.5" Jumbo Joe for slow cooks.  You could certainly use them on your MT but you may need to add some charcoal.  I usually have to add some charcoal for anything beyond about 4 hours.

I use a Slow-n-Sear on my Performer kettle all the time for both slow cooks and super hot searing.  It never comes out of the kettle except when I make paella.  You won't regret getting a slow and sear.  It is the best accessory I've bought for my kettle.

You could combine the two baskets into one larger basket as shown in this thread. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-bigger-better-basket-case/

This would result in more charcoal for longer slow cooks.  Great stopgap in lieu of a slow-n-sear.

Try out all the different methods.....it's fun and educational......all in the name of meat science.

Whit

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »
Also, @fadsarmy  I always cook with coals on one side of the kettle for indirect cooking.  I never setup two baskets for indirect.

Whit