Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Ketlle restoration  (Read 2339 times)

addiosamigo

• Happy Cooker
First Ketlle restoration
« on: June 22, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »
Hi guys, I found this forum while googling about older Weber's. I was looking to purchase a compact kettle Webber but realised it's a budget version. So I looked at getting an older one. I found one on gumtree (UK version of Craigslist) and I purchased for 20 pounds (about 25 dollars). Got it home and started to restore. It is a 1998 one touch plus (I think). Its got the one touch cleaning system and a thermometer in the lid, oh and it's a nice blue colour.anyway it cleaned up real nice, the kettle part is in pretty good shape, a few bits of rust here and there but still looks great considering its 19 years old!. Inside and out it shines. The aluminium legs will buff up nicely  and I got most of the rust out of the triangle. The grills are both rusted so I need to replace them, as is the one touch system. To replace all of this is 100 pounds (about 125 dollars). Now my question is, is it worth it? Shall I buy those parts or can I get them cheaper? Or shall I cut my losses and buy a new weber?? This is my first BBQ and my work colleague said to only get a Weber. So that's what I did.

Oh the handle came off the lid as it's rusted but my father in law said he can weld that back on.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:06:36 PM by addiosamigo »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Ketlle restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
@addiosamigo , that price seems high for 2 grates and the ash sweep assembly.  but, perhaps that is a result of living in the UK.  i had the same issue restoring an OT+.  I replaced the ash sweeps, but kept the grates.  the grates were soaked for several days in vinegar, then scrubbed until the rust came off.  if you do not want to purchase grates, that may be a good and inexpensive solution for you.  following is my OT+ restore thread.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-red-22-5'-n-code-kettle

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:47:23 PM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:14:48 PM »
Eh, welcome, Amigo! And congrats on the OT score. You just can not go wrong with this. My first Weber was a blue Master Touch. I still have it and it is still the one I almost always cook on up at the cabin. I just love it. My second was a blue OTG purchased in 2004, which I am grilling grouse fillets on as I type this!
I've restored MANY grills since I first got turned on to this collecting thing a few years ago. One thing I can tell you is that, unless you are restoring for a 'show piece', almost ANY grate can be easily cleaned up for daily use. I've had some REALLY ugly looking things that clean up with a wire wheel to be completely usable. Rusty? Warped from over-heating? No problem! Spray them with cleaner (I use Greased Lightning from Home Depot) and then take a wire wheel on a cordless drill to them. If they're warped you may need to stomp on them a couple times. Then just oil them up with some sort of cooking oil or simply cook something fatty on them (bacon works fine for me :-) !!). Even if a bit of pitting from the old rust remains, I don't see that as a problem. The high heat these things are subjected to remove all concerns I have for whatever might have been on those grates prior to my handling them? :-)
You mentioned cleaning the triangles. I use WD 40 on a pad of 0000 steel wool. On the really stubborn ones I might use a small wire brush or wire wheel. They'll clean up nice in almost all cases if you scrub long enough.
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 06:54:04 PM »

Maybe another UK WKC member can give you advice on where to buy parts at a better price.  @PB-UK  , any advice on where to source less expensive parts?
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 08:48:44 PM »
I wouldn't weld it back on. That is bound to mess up the porcelain.  Just drill it out and bolt it with stainless steel hardware.  My handle popped off of my Red SSP (stainless steel Performer) and used SS hardware to reattach it.  Used Wing nuts do I can alway tighten it by hand when the heating and cooking makes it get a little loose. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addiosamigo

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:51:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys! @Foster Dahlet yes it is extremely expensive here in the UK! @Dale Benson I've put the charcoal grill into some oven cleaner in a bag jobby to see if that helps. The main grill is covered in black burnt stuff, some of it comes off some of it doesnt, that one doesn't fit in the bag unfortunately. I used a razor scraper but it seemed to take off the silver! The middle part is a different colour, looks rusted. So I might see if I can salvage the charcoal one and purchase a new grill and cleaning system. I would appreciate other lower cost alternatives though! Thanks again! I will post pictures soon! @MikeRocksTheRed I was thinking of bolting it on but I think it's too rusted and the hole wouldn't hold, I think the only option is to weld it back on.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:12:16 PM by addiosamigo »

addiosamigo

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:14:05 PM »
If I can't purchase the cleaning system for a while can I just tape up the bottom for a bit?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 05:45:44 AM »
If I can't purchase the cleaning system for a while can I just tape up the bottom for a bit?

@addiosamigo , the bottom vents are essential for allowing airflow to the charcoal so your fire will burn and they also help in controlling your temperature.  taping the vents would be a bad idea.  i suggest keeping your grates and buying a new ash sweep assembly.  @Dale Benson and @MikeRocksTheRed gave you sound advice.  it you follow their suggestions, you will have a great cooker that will last you a long time.  if you search the board, you will find good tips for removing and replacing rusty ash sweeps and how to fix  lid handles with some bolts/nuts and washers (inexpensive and effective).
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »
I want to try the high temperature quik steel to try reapplying a handle. Just haven't gotten to it yet. Supposed to be good to 2400 degrees.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-18003-QuikSteel-Temperature/dp/B0084AA2LK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1498237095&sr=1-1&keywords=quiksteel

steviesandwich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »

Maybe another UK WKC member can give you advice on where to buy parts at a better price.  @PB-UK  , any advice on where to source less expensive parts?

I've not found any source in the UK at anything like US prices..... :(

Que Tip

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 12:06:24 PM »

Which part of the UK are you in?