Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Warm Welcome and a Rescued Kettle SJ  (Read 581 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
A Warm Welcome and a Rescued Kettle SJ
« on: September 08, 2019, 06:57:15 PM »
No so long after I stopped being a lurker here and started posting in the forum I began trying to help others find kettles.  Even if they were 200 miles away and I had no chance of getting them or even being willing to make the drive, I still enjoyed the hunt.  I figured if nothing else I would get a little kettle karma and make some new friends.  Then out of no where @bladz offers to send me this Lime SJ for the low price of shipping cost after his sister picked it up.  Now at the time I had never even had an interaction with bladz and the offer completely caught me off guard.  As a new Weber addict I was absolutely interested so long as the shipping was reasonable (I thought it would be much more than it really was for just an SJ).  Then a completely different member @JEBIV graciously offered to pay shipping.  All I can say to both of you is THANK YOU.  I genuinely appreciate it and if I ever find myself not appreciating this kettle any longer I will do my best to find another new WKC member to pass it on to. 

If it wasn't for members like this being welcoming and helpful I can't say that I would be nearly as active as I have been here.  Rather than lurking, I am checking this place out at least a few times a day and doing my best to be a good WKC member.  Since bladz made that offer he has become a friend who I message at least a few times a week and honestly that has been worth far more than a Lime SJ could ever be.  I haven't gotten to know JEBIV all that much yet, but I hope one day I get the chance to because he seems to be just as good a grill fella as anyone could be.  There have also been a handful of other members here who I also genuinely appreciate.  They have been helpful in my builds and restores when I call, text, or message on the forum.  Others have just been great to talk kettles, grilling, or hunt kettles/parts with. 

Now that he sappy stuff is out of the way it is PICTURE TIME!

This little gem had been a little abused is all I can say.  Filthy, a little rusty, and wasn't even given the dignity of a proper charcoal grate (they had some kinda metal basket in there?).  Bladz removed the "charcoal grate" and rusty top grate and expertly packed this thing up and shipped it south.  Then I got to work...

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: A Warm Welcome and a Rescued Kettle SJ
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 07:00:59 PM »
Then with some Evaporust, elbow grease, and a cheap donor NIB SJ it was brought back to a looker.  I ALMOST installed the legs in PUCKER BUTT fashion to just mess with @bladz, but I figured the kettle had enough of the improper modifications after the charcoal basket.  She is a beaut now and I am addicted to Lime kettles.  I hope someday I am fortunate enough to find momma and poppa Lime (18 & 22) to complete the family with this baby Lime. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 08:51:58 PM »
You mentioned a couple of the many great members on the forums.  Bladz is great and JEBIV is one of the kindest, selfless guys on here as well. I can’t thank him enough for what all he has done for me.  Guys like these are the reasons that this community is so great. P.S. the joe looks great as well!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 02:39:20 AM »
I use one of those as a charcoal basket in my char-griller, it works wonders! I need to get my free lime SJ cleaned up. I have a few others in line before it though.

I don't really know @bladz but he sounds like the typical member here! And @JEBIV  has helped me out as well.

And I also appreciate the links you send me, wish I could afford them all lol

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 03:48:32 AM »
Awesome story!  This just reaffirms my reasoning for becoming a member,  I just hope I'm able to get to the point of helping someone out like that one day.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 04:14:00 AM »
Awesome story!  This just reaffirms my reasoning for becoming a member,  I just hope I'm able to get to the point of helping someone out like that one day.

You can send me a freebie anytime! Lol

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 04:24:26 AM »
Shucks I'm blushing, always happy to help out
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 02:18:38 PM »
Just paying it forward like many of the other great members have done for me and many others in this group.  Great gesture on @JEBIV 's part stepping in and offering to pick up the shipping.  Thanks again for all you do Joe. 

@ReanimatedRobot very nice restore on that rough looking SJ.  BTW, I really want to thank you for taking that ugly plastic handle off and replacing it with an original @zavod44 handle. LOL  You have that little grill really looking great.  Enjoy!

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 04:45:29 AM »
@ReanimatedRobot Dennis and Joe are both very good grillfella. I love that apreceation in this group. This is how it should be "to give and to take" is the callout!
Very good restoration, this is what we want to see!

Cheers Bertl

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app