Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Style Ash Catcher thoughts  (Read 1981 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
New Style Ash Catcher thoughts
« on: February 02, 2017, 03:41:12 PM »
I have only tried the new ash catcher in stores and to me it seemed like it took some effort to get the pot off.  Maybe it's just the ones I've tried or maybe it's just me.  How does everyone else seem to like them. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New Style Ash Catcher thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
After getting an older OTG I like the old style better. My Performer pot has seemed to loosen up a bit over time but at first it was real stiff squeezing the handle together. I haven't looked, are the old style rings and pots still available to purchase as replacements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:07:49 PM »
I have both styles, older is better, but once the newer ones break in they are not to bad. You can find the older style on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 05:58:14 AM »
I prefer the new ones. I always seem to have a bit of a problem getting the notches lined up properly on the old style. It's probably just my old fumbly, uncoordinated, drunken self. but I just find it slightly easier with the newer ones.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 06:28:44 AM »
I like the new ones as well.  I can remove and replace it without having to duck down and look at it.  I think it kind of loosens up and works better after some usage like @iCARRY said...unless it's just me getting used to it.  Like @Darko I always had problems getting the old style lined up and would alway miss one side of it and then have to duck down and look to get it on right.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 07:10:19 AM »
Are there any pics out there for the new ash catcher vs old? I was going to convert a silver and order the parts but don't want one I don't care for.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »

This is the new style.  It has oblong air holes and the ash bucket has a pinch mechanism securing it. The ash bucket is now more rounded at the bottom.

This is the old style.  It has round air holes and the ash bucket has a twist locking mechanism. The ash bucket is is more squared at the bottom.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 08:07:55 AM »
Here is a video I just took of removing and replacing the new style ash catcher.  Please excuse the mess under my grill at the moment.

https://vimeo.com/202413159

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed You make it look so easy!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »

@MikeRocksTheRed You make it look so easy!!!

It took me two takes. First attempt I had a 2 second issue with putting the round peg in the round hole so to speak!  Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 03:59:58 PM »
Damn kids today want everything EASY.

Give me the old style. Squatting down to line up the slots is damn good exercise.

The old ones look better too, especially the black ones.

Dammit.    :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 05:56:04 PM »
DGAF!!!!

It ain't the kids, It's all us old farts.  I don't bend over so well. Sometimes I just fall over.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 06:07:22 AM »
Indeed! The beer/balance ratio is sometimes hard to maintain.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers