Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finishing Wood Handles  (Read 1129 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Finishing Wood Handles
« on: January 29, 2017, 02:11:22 AM »
Talking to a bunch of my lobstermen about what to use as a finish for wood handles they tell me that using spar varnish would be more work over time for handles that are left out in the sun.  They recommend to reapply Tung Oil a bunch of times.

So the question is,  for those that finish with Spar Varnish do you think my lobstermen are off base and what is the reasoning behind using the products you do use?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Finishing Wood Handles
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 03:10:29 AM »
Tung oil is great.  I have used it a lot.  It helps bring out the grain of the wood without altering the colour of the wood too much.

But, then I finish it with spar varnish, or spar urethane.  A couple three coats.  Both should have UV protecting qualities.

If you plan on splashing the kettle around in the salt water surf …. Well, then I can't add anything more to this …  :D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.