Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anybody ever heard of this epoxy?  (Read 2951 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Anybody ever heard of this epoxy?
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:57:53 PM »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Anybody ever heard of this epoxy?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:50:17 PM »
withstands up to 2400 degrees Fahrenheit?  It sounds too good to be true...

http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/epoxy-compound/blue-magic-qs-high-temperature-metal-repair-trilingual/515553_0_0/#close

I looked up the MSDS: http://bluemagicusa.com/bm_files/msds/QuikSteel%20Putty%20MSDS.pdf and the main ingredient is "Hydrous magnesium silicate" aka talc

From Wikipedia:

"Talc is widely used in the ceramics industry in both bodies and glazes. In low-fire art-ware bodies, it imparts whiteness and increases thermal expansion to resist crazing. In stonewares, small percentages of talc are used to flux the body and therefore improve strength and vitrification. It is a source of MgO flux in high-temperature glazes (to control melting temperature). It is also employed as a matting agent in earthenware glazes and can be used to produce magnesia mattes at high temperatures."

Withstands up to 2400 degrees Fahrenheit may be true but those conditions are not necessarily in real world use.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:08:33 PM »
withstands up to 2400 degrees Fahrenheit?  It sounds too good to be true...

http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/epoxy-compound/blue-magic-qs-high-temperature-metal-repair-trilingual/515553_0_0/#close

I looked up the MSDS: http://bluemagicusa.com/bm_files/msds/QuikSteel%20Putty%20MSDS.pdf and the main ingredient is "Hydrous magnesium silicate" aka talc

From Wikipedia:

"Talc is widely used in the ceramics industry in both bodies and glazes. In low-fire art-ware bodies, it imparts whiteness and increases thermal expansion to resist crazing. In stonewares, small percentages of talc are used to flux the body and therefore improve strength and vitrification. It is a source of MgO flux in high-temperature glazes (to control melting temperature). It is also employed as a matting agent in earthenware glazes and can be used to produce magnesia mattes at high temperatures."

Withstands up to 2400 degrees Fahrenheit may be true but those conditions are not necessarily in real world use.

Is the putty you cited different from the epoxy compound?  I know they sell a putty too, which is this stuff.

http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/epoxy-compound/blue-magic-quiksteel-epoxy-putty/515416_0_0?checkfit=true

Here are the two side by side:
http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/epoxy-compound?filters=4294962688

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 07:30:15 AM »
Looks like a repackaged or cloned JB Weld product.
Same specs.
I know for a fact you can drill and tap JB Weld.
Used it to fix the cutter mount on a brake lathe
while we waited for a replacement to arrive.
It worked for over a year before we bothered to swap
for the new part.

http://www.jbweld.com/collections/metal/products/j-b-extremeheat

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »
Looks like a repackaged or cloned JB Weld product.
Same specs.
I know for a fact you can drill and tap JB Weld.
Used it to fix the cutter mount on a brake lathe
while we waited for a replacement to arrive.
It worked for over a year before we bothered to swap
for the new part.

http://www.jbweld.com/collections/metal/products/j-b-extremeheat

Thank you, Yard Burner.  I was looking for JB Weld product and my search turned up the Blue Magic stuff.  Good to know it has the same specs.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 08:35:03 PM »
Yes I have heard of it and yes I have used it. Works flawlessly...on a muffler. I was grabbing the tail pipe when I was removing my engine from my bug for the 6th time and snapped the housing off. I welded the thing back together but it still sounded like a flipping bottle rocket going down the street. I saw this and figured, hell I have nothing to lose. It's still on the muffler...at my neighbors house after 2 years. Sold him the muffler and engine, not the car.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »
Yes I have heard of it and yes I have used it. Works flawlessly...on a muffler. I was grabbing the tail pipe when I was removing my engine from my bug for the 6th time and snapped the housing off. I welded the thing back together but it still sounded like a flipping bottle rocket going down the street. I saw this and figured, hell I have nothing to lose. It's still on the muffler...at my neighbors house after 2 years. Sold him the muffler and engine, not the car.

Excellent, thank you.  Do you think it would work inside a kettle bowl?  I can plug 3 small holes, less than 1/8 inch in each hole with a screw or with the epoxy.  Or will this epoxy wilt in the heat?  The screws will work, but I almost want to try the epoxy for the sake of experimentation.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 07:03:03 AM »
@Vwbuggin64
Funny...I used jb weld to patch a hole I put in my old new beetle engine block.  Still holding 5 years later.

Only thing I worry about is if it's "officially" food safe....

I guess your food doesn't touch it.  You don't really eat your coals either, but you ingest a lot of particulate stuff as the burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »
@Vwbuggin64
Funny...I used jb weld to patch a hole I put in my old new beetle engine block.  Still holding 5 years later.

I guess your food doesn't touch it.  You don't really eat your coals either, but you ingest a lot of particulate stuff as the burn.

I decided against using it to plug the holes.  I used small screws instead.  Faster and less complex.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »

Is the enamel officially food safe, is the nickel plating on a grate officially food safe, is the charcoal particulate officially food safe?

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 11:09:53 PM »
Sorry busy day today. Should be fine. Id hit it with hi-temp paint, but i live dangerously

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 08:03:05 AM »

Is the enamel officially food safe, is the nickel plating on a grate officially food safe, is the charcoal particulate officially food safe?

Just throwing the "officially" comment out there.  I know exactly what you are saying.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 06:29:24 PM »

@Vwbuggin64

Many things were JB welded on my old bug before I got rid of it.

Rollin coal