Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Igrill 2 for $60 or thermoworks smoke for $100  (Read 3705 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Igrill 2 for $60 or thermoworks smoke for $100
« on: November 25, 2016, 04:13:54 AM »
I really like the looks of the smoke and like the wifi add on coming soon but I know some folks like the  I grill.

Amazon had igrill2 for $60 or the mini for $24 My concern is Bluetooth range.  My wifi router is near the rear door so blue stood interference could be a factor. If it can't connect in the house it's useless.

My other concern is quality. I have two mavericks. My Et-73 works fine but the probes are all shot. My et-733 works but the tip of a 3.5mm plug snapped off in the unit so that channel is unusable. Also I have one probe left on that. I've gone through 7-8 probes on my mavericks and they always fail during a cook for guests...

If the probes on the igrill and maverick are similar quality then perhaps I'm wasting my time with the entry level stuff and need to finally move up to thermoworks.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Igrill 2 for $60 or thermoworks smoke for $100
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:13:39 AM »
Just got the smoke and it is exactly what I wanted.  Easy to use and doesn't take a bunch of time.  I don't different meat choices or various cooks, I just need to set the temps.  Takes 10 seconds to set your temps and you don't need any instructions.  Plus it is solid!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 07:46:13 AM »
every time I use the thermoworks smoke, i'm blown away at how freaking easy and awesome it is.

i just wish the probe cables were longer....

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 08:54:20 AM »
I wanted the TW Smoke, but I bit on the Amazon 60 buck iGrill2 deal. I have the mini and have been really pleased with it, especially since they reworked the iphone app.  Plus, I wasn't jazzed about carrying around the TW receiver.  We shall see. SWSBO will lose her mind when another thermo shows up... ; )
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:41:11 AM »
Well the CFO got wind of the igrill special and santa is bringing it ;)

Black friday winning :)

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:06:40 AM »
I have the smoke and while I haven't used it yet, it's way easier to set up then my Maverick 732.  I have not used an igrill2 so I can't comment on how well it works.

Wayne

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »
What is it that makes the probes fail? What can I do to help mitigate that on my Maverick?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 11:50:34 AM »
What is it that makes the probes fail? What can I do to help mitigate that on my Maverick?

I try to baby them but i know I a few have fallen onto a hot grate that fried the probe. A few failed where the cable meets the probe. Maverick customer service replaced a set for me under warranty and
They aren't crazy expensive but it just seems they always fail at the wrong time.

th

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Igrill 2 for $60 or thermoworks smoke for $100
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »
The igrill is getting its first run today. So far so good. It's maintained connection fairly well.

The only disconnect was when I was out of range: 4 year old wanted to ride her bike out front :)

My house isn't big but there is a fair bit of interference so I was concerned about connection but so far so good.

For $60 for therm and a $15 after market pit probe I'm pretty happy with it.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:17:31 AM by CharliefromLI »

Bob Ivey

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
My Mavericks are sitting in a cabinet and are a pain to use.  Now that I have a Thermoworks Smoke, I can tell you that it is rock solid.  If I am doing an overnight cook, I will still use my HeaterMeter since it will control the fan, but for doing things like tri tip on the Performer, I will stay with the Smoke.  As far as I am concerned, the price will not be an issue.  Only quality and ease of use matter to me any more.
Bob Ivey

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »

My Mavericks are sitting in a cabinet and are a pain to use.  Now that I have a Thermoworks Smoke, I can tell you that it is rock solid.  If I am doing an overnight cook, I will still use my HeaterMeter since it will control the fan, but for doing things like tri tip on the Performer, I will stay with the Smoke.  As far as I am concerned, the price will not be an issue.  Only quality and ease of use matter to me any more.
If the smoke with wifi was $100 then it's a home run but considering that the wifi attachment is additional $80, $180 total that's 3x the price I paid for the igrill. I know it's a quality item but $180 for a therm is just overkill for me.