Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First wings!  (Read 1767 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
First wings!
« on: October 23, 2016, 07:33:35 PM »
Finally got a chance to experiment with some wings.  I used Cajun seasoning, some olive oil and some flour.  Set up  the copper with two charcoal baskets and used RO lump to achieve the extra heat.  I got a temp around 450.  Total cooking time was about fifteen minuets.  Turned them a few times.  Seems like the olive oil and the flour gave the wings almost a fried feel.  They were crispy on the outside and nice and moist on the outside.  Loved it when I lifted the lid and could hear that sizzle.  Cool!  They turned out great.  Now I feel confident making them for company.

OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First wings!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 03:50:07 AM »
Great lookin wings, man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 04:45:53 AM »
Those are some good looking wings.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 04:58:42 AM »
Almost nothing excites me more than wings. Nice one!  I don't have a lid thermometer and I don't use any lump but I'm pretty sure my temp is hotter than 450. I gauge how hot my fire is by needing a hot pad to remove my lid. It heats up my plastic lid handle to hot to touch.

This is my normal wing fire and it can maintain this high heat for over an hour with kbb. Wings only take half hour

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:03:30 AM »
Almost nothing excites me more than wings. Nice one!  I don't have a lid thermometer and I don't use any lump but I'm pretty sure my temp is hotter than 450. I gauge how hot my fire is by needing a hot pad to remove my lid. It heats up my plastic lid handle to hot to touch.

This is my normal wing fire and it can maintain this high heat for over an hour with kbb. Wings only take half hour

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Impressive coals you had there!  I don't trust the lid thermometer so I use an oven thermometer.  You can get them for cheap and they will give you a good reading of your grate temperature.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:15:56 AM »
Looks great Dave! 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »
Looks great Dave!

Thanks Mike!  Good to see you back!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »
Looks great Dave!

Thanks Mike!  Good to see you back!

Thanks Dave!  I've been around just too busy with work during the day and non grilling plans a lot of evenings and weekends.  Hopefully things slow down soon so I can get back to my zen place!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!