Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Backdraft  (Read 2706 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Backdraft
« on: October 11, 2016, 07:33:42 AM »
I cook hundreds of hotdogs every Saturday for my sons junior tackle football league . I typically roast them in a pan over indirect heat then grill them direct to finish them off with grill marks.  Nothing strange about my set up , coals banked on one side and I run about 275 -300 degrees .

This past Saturday I routinely lifted the lid and was met with a fireball that torched my eyebrows and eyelashes , beard and mustache , it didn't burn me or harm me in any way and happened so fast that I didn't even react . My wife and daughter who were watching said it was a flash of flame that was bright orange and they started laughing at my reaction which was was pretty much Duh,  as I enjoyed the smell of burnt hair !

In over 30 years of grilling I've never had anything like this happen so I'm not worried , but I'll likely take an extra step back in future lid lifts [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Backdraft
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 08:00:25 AM »
Must of been the perfect conditions for that to happen. I like your reaction....probably what I would have done too.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »

Ever realize what's coming out the back of the chimney?
Still need a 22” yellow

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:25:25 AM »
Crazy! I've had it something similar happen when grilling bacon.

You cook 100s of hotdogs in a single weber?

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »
Is there a creosote/grease build-up in the bowl? That's the only time I've had something similar happen....
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:09:45 AM »
Sounds like grease flare up. Maybe you changed brands of hot dogs lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 09:11:20 AM »
And or grease build up like bob said.  Mass cooking greasy food has a tendency for that

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 09:14:02 AM »
I had one grease fire once. Smoked a pork butt and had drippings run over into the bowl. Next cook, light the chimney and I go inside. Look on the patio and the grill is a big fire ball! Baking soda and a razor after that cook.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 09:49:12 AM »
I have never even heard of a backdraft with a kettle. I have with HOT fires in kamados. You must have had a mixture of air, heat and what the hell ever else just right! I think I'll step back an extra inch myself!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 11:11:30 AM »
Crazy! I've had it something similar happen when grilling bacon.

You cook 100s of hotdogs in a single weber?

I do batches of about 80 at a time in pans with a warming rack so I can stack them . Similar to this

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
You get that on the Big Green Eggs, had it happen a few times to me-its a scary feeling. They come with a warning to "Burp your Egg" - lifting the lid an inch or two a couple times before opening all the way.

Never had it happen with any Weber products.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 01:39:53 PM »
You must of had a perfect condition with air, temp., and from what I gather is using fresh Lump Charcoal.  Common on air tight ceramic cookers but not on Weber kettles.

Here is how perfect storm is created. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 05:20:56 AM »
 With an ingredients list longer than the one on a bag of KBB (not to mention anything the USDA don't require to be listed) the hot hogs probably produced a little bit of hydrogen or methane gas while they were cooking and....WHOOOSH!

We'll have to get Chris Kimball and Cliff Claven together so we can figure out what actually happened.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 05:27:06 AM »
A static discharge to ignite? Oh, I see flashback wouldn't need it? Was the weather hot and dry? Have had a nice tall blue flame over a small Coleman camp stove, when fresh white gas hit the hot burner upon relighting it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 05:47:35 AM by TD »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 08:10:06 AM »
I keep my grills clean but I wonder about this ,I did switch hot dogs because my supplier was out of my standard dogs . I used Nathan's skinless dogs and I wonder if they did produce a bunch of grease ?