Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Questions on making a Midget.  (Read 1490 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Questions on making a Midget.
« on: July 29, 2016, 08:41:08 PM »
For those of you who have made one maybe you can help me out.  I've got a new 22 with ash bucket that I want to turn into a midget but I have questions on the triangle.  I assume the triangle doesn't fit after the legs are cut down. What do you do to remedy this?  Would I have to use an 18" triangle on my 22 to make it work?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Questions on making a Midget.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:48:05 PM »
most midget's are made with an 18.5" but @Bob BQ has a chopped 22.5" three wheeler:

@LightningBoldtz @Troy @Craig @Bob BQ post yours too.   8)
No 18 chop for me, @pbe gummi bear , however...

Anyone chop a 22? I had planned to chop my older OTS 22 once I got my bronze premium. But alas, I had been way to careless (read: inebriated) with her at Brewers games and there wasn't much to salvage. I'm keeping my eye out for a stupid cheap late model or a reasonably cheap older model for the chop.

honestly, I think a 22 is too big to do this with, just my opinion the 18's seem to be a perfect fit.
I'm no engineer but I fear the center of gravity may be too high on a 22 using cut down legs. There would have to be a way to keep a wider base or risk a disaster.

Yep, I've done one. Too big? Nope. Not stable? She's very stable, actually; her real job is my 22 WSM bottom. Practical? Eh, maybe, maybe not. But it looks sweet…  8)

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 04:48:51 AM »
WHY?
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 05:10:29 AM »
Looks like an awesome project for a unique and practical backyard firepit.  What a great idea!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 06:41:22 AM »
To answer your question more directly- most 18.5" midgets are cut down to the 2nd triangle and the legs are trimmed to fit. The ash bucket fits just fine. You may want to check out the proportions of an 22.5" because that ash pot may be too big. @Troy has actually trimmed down a pot to get more clearance for another project.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 07:37:11 AM »
WHY?
Gnomes.
Gnomes require a lower height.

You've got to keep your garden gnomes happy or you will wake up to tipped over kettles.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 08:18:10 PM »
WHY?

WHY NOT?

In my case, I had been given a 22 WSM midsection & lid. No bowl. Chopped down a 3 wheeler to bring it closer to the height it would be if it had the WSM bowl.

That, and my wife's garden gnomes love to grill in the middle of the night.

@mcgolden , on my 3 wheeler, I used the ash pan from an 18" kettle. I took off the 3rd/outer triangle, and trimmed the axle down to approximately 2" from the 2nd/middle triangle. I can check the leg measurements for you if you'd like, but I'm sure the measurements will be different since you'll be using an ash pan.

Maybe I'll bring the red Jumbo Joe to the meetup.  Hmmm…
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:42:25 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"