Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Crimson kettle with chipped lid and other problems  (Read 2443 times)

mikecnorthwest

• Happy Cooker
Crimson kettle with chipped lid and other problems
« on: June 19, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »
So I bought a new crimson colored kettle, and after putting it together, I noticed a good sized chip in the paint near the lid handle.  Upon further inspection, I noticed that the kettle handles (both) had rough scrapes  along all the edges.  It looked as if the paint on the handle edges was ground off during manufacture.  I read another thread debating whether or not the crimson was a thinner finish.  I'm not sure if it is or not, but this one certainly has issues and it lacks the nice glossy porcelin feel of my other kettles.  This is going back and being exchanged for a green one.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Crimson kettle with chipped lid and other problems
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »
Seen this a few times with the taco. I think the consensus is over tightening.
Still need a 22” yellow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:56:51 PM »
I just saw a post from a fb friend where their one year old kettle's leg socket popped off and have fallen over. I hope this isn't a sign of quality issue coming about with weber. I hope you reported that to them Mike. The more they hear about failures, the more they're likely to have to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 05:43:23 PM »
Firstly, Welcome!

I can not believe that you did not notice big chunk of red porcelain missing before assy. the handle.  It probably happened after you put the handle together.  No matter if you over tighten it or defect under mating surface of the handle to cause porcelain pop when tightened... Weber will ship you new lid and handle.  Just take few pics and send it in. They won't even question if it is your fault or not.

Second issue about dull Crimson finish is not an issue at all.  That is how they come.  Just like the Slate on new MT. Weber gave that dull or matted finish to give it's own character or charm. I am really diggin the Slate. They were not meant to have shiny finish.

Store might replace it for you if you did not use it yet, but I just don't understand how after opening the box, looking at the finish of the lid, and putting handle together on it then decide that something is wrong with the Crimson color.  Please don't mind my remark. It is just me and I hope I don't offend you.  Honestly, I hope you get the green if you are happier with it.

Although I too had some issue with my first kettle aswell, Weber took car of me.  I could not be happier.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 05:55:14 PM »
Call Weber and they will replace with no questions asked.  Also be careful not to over tighten bowl handle.  Do not think the crimson finish is thinner.  I have a crimson and had zero problems.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:04:48 PM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
I have a 2014 crimson performer and yes the finish is dull.  Thinner? I'm not sure but I do have scratches on the lid from the lid bale.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

eyevandy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 04:57:08 AM »
My new Crimson performer had some issues with the lid. There was a dull area near the handle hole as if something had brushed against the finish while it was still wet. I also noticed that the damper was really hard to turn and actually put scratches in the finish.

They shipped me a new one because of the dull blemish. The new one is spotless, except that both lids have half-circle blemishes around the rim that look like chipped-off coating. I just assumed they all have that, or maybe it's just the crimson.

Yes, my overall thought was that this did not seem like Weber quality. But I'm happy overall with what I ended up with. I think the matte finish suits it. The crimson isn't as cool as the old fire engine red, but if you gotta have red on a new kettle then crimson is it. It's actually brighter/more red than the pictures I saw before I bought it.

On one of the handle nuts I got a little past "no wobble" and into "something is making noise." I hope that doesn't mean I damaged the porcelain.

mikecnorthwest

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 06:21:21 PM »
I exchanged the crimson kettle for a green one.  I also sent an email to Weber customer service outlining the various quality control issues with this crimson kettle.  So far no response but it has only been a day since I sent the email.  The staff at Ace Hardware were surprised to see the various issues this crimson kettle had.  This was a pretty disappointing experience based on my previous Weber kettles.