Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tip Top Temp w/ Snake Smoking  (Read 1479 times)

ReverendMike

• Smokey Joe
Tip Top Temp w/ Snake Smoking
« on: June 16, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »
I've been looking at a bunch of reviews and comments about the Tip Top Temp. I've got the snake method of smoking down to a science, except for minor temperature adjustments, which I still need to monitor about every 30 minutes through an all day smoking session. For $30, it seems like the TTT unit might solve that problem, but I'm worried that, even fully open, it will limit airflow and produce an unacceptably low temperature overall. Right now, I typically leave the bottom vent fully open and the top vent is usually fully open with a smoking temperature of about 250 to 275. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tip Top Temp w/ Snake Smoking
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:59:52 PM »
I like using the snake myself for some cooks.  It can hold a very steady temp.  Other methods I might get a 10-15 degree slide which to me is not much.  If you are still interested in the Tip Top Temp here is a link where you can get it for $19.99 shipped.

http://www.yardandpool.com/maverick-tip-top-temp-grill-temperature-regulator

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:02:25 PM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tip Top Temp w/ Snake Smoking
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 02:42:02 AM »
Hi ReverendMike, You should leave the top vent fully open and you will want to control the air flow with the bottom
vents, if it is a OTS / OTG then close the blades down for air control, typically about the width of a number
number 2 pencil with a 3x2 snake will have you in the 225~250 range for hours at a time, open a bit further
and the temps and fuel consumption both go up.
The same applies to the older daisy wheel cookers too, just close them down. I have found that using just
the top vent to try to control temps leads to a "dirty fire" which usually lead to less than stellar results..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..