Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Performer CL Find but now I have a dilemma  (Read 1885 times)

Jon A.

• Smokey Joe
Weber Performer CL Find but now I have a dilemma
« on: June 03, 2016, 08:19:30 AM »
I scored a brand new (NIB) Weber Performer Gold on Craigslist for only $125 on Tuesday!!  :)  I assembled it on Wednesday and put it out on the patio.  8)  Unfortunately, my wife is not at all happy with the way it looks.  :o :( We are trying to create a Tuscan/Adirondack vibe back there and she thinks that the Performer ruins it.  She was fine with my father's 40 year old kettle but thinks the cart on the Performer looks too new, cheap ???, hates the charcoal bucket "trash can", etc.  I have to admit, as I was assembling it I was reminded of my treadmill and elliptical machine.  So far, I have moved it to the back (between the Weber Genesis and the Masterbuilt Smoker enclosure that I built.  It hides it a bit but that isn't a practical solution since I think it is too close to the house to use in that location.  What do you think I should do? (Note: getting a new wife is not an option, I'm a big fan).

As I see it, my options are:

1. Sell the Performer and just use the MBH "Grandpa Grill" (I really like the idea of the upgraded ash catcher system and thermometer);
2. Sell the Performer and buy a new Premium Kettle and use the smoker enclosure counter as the only counter surface (works well enough with the old MBH but I wouldn't mind another surface);
3. Sell the Performer and buy a new Premium Kettle but build a custom table/cart for it that matches the smoker enclosure;
4. Keep the Performer and build walls/sides (maybe leaving the front open to access the ash catcher/vent) out of the same ship-lapped knotty pine I used to build the smoker enclosure and replace the plastic table surface with a wooden one;
5. Keep the Performer but remove the kettle from the cart and mount it in a custom table that matches the smoker enclosure (the only advantage over buying a regular Premium Kettle is that the bowl has flanges that will make it slightly easier to mount to a table, not that using conduit clips would be particularly difficult).  Probably a waste of a perfectly good/new Performer cart.

Here are some pics so you can get an idea of what is going on....

BTW - I was perfectly content with the MBH that you guys talked me into fixing up until I started reading this site voraciously... now I feel the need for more kettles ;D

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Jon A.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:22:40 AM by Jon A. »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber Performer CL Find but now I have a dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 09:31:57 AM »

She's OK w/ the Genesis?     ;D

Option 4.5 - Since it looks like you like to build things    ;)

-Build a custom wood table - the pine would work
---or match the slate cabinet top!!!
-Paint the frame all black
-Maybe a pine front panel?  oooh - slate hasn't been done     :o
-And then incorporate some wrought iron accents (replace the chrome hangers, etc.)
--- Maybe hinge the table to flip up using the same hinges on your cabinet - I know the charcoal bin hinges out, but lifting the table would just look cool, and the end could be butted up to a wall or cabinet.

I'm excited to see it now   8)

Dude, relax your chicken.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
How about building a new wooden cart patterned after the sequoia?

From the WKC 1976-77 Red Imperial Sequoia page: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/12/19/1970-ish-red-imperial-sequoia/

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »
Option 6: Divorce

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »
Option 6: Divorce
HA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
I say go with the customizing your own cart for it!

It's a fun project, and you don't have to sell a nice find!
1995 EO Smokey Joe, Ol' Smokey. EE Mastertouch 1999 Redhead, Big Red. AT 2013 OTG.(No name yet) 2016 Walmart Special, Wally.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 05:12:33 PM »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 06:07:49 PM »
First thing I'd do is order the new style metal table for the Performer and swap it out.   Much more stylish looking.  2nd thing would be to make a trip to HD/Lowes and check out the Krylon and/or Rustoleum paint selections and paint the cart.

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »
6!
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 06:54:44 PM »
Sell the wife and keep the grills

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 07:22:34 PM »

Sell the wife and keep the grills

that was exactly what I was thinking.[emoji482]

Jon A.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 09:35:54 AM »
I think I am leaning towards painting the frame and lower rack black and building a wood table to replace the plastic one.  If that is not enough to change the look, I can add wood to three sides.  Some day I may do a fully custom table but I probably won't have time this summer.

-Jon A.