Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Unremarkable find and rescue  (Read 1484 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Unremarkable find and rescue
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:56:19 PM »
2 Days ago, I see the ad come up for Weber charcoal kettle for $30. No pictures or any other info.  I call the no. and talk to a lady.  She has no clue if it is 22 or 18 when asked( she thinks  it is the bigger one), or how old it is. She did say it was black in color and fairly old.

Normally, I would just pass up on something like this, but hunting instinct kicks in.  What if it is different color since she has no clue what she is talking about, or really old vintage kettle. What if..   I make an appointment to go see the thing. It is 1hr drive and I  may come home empty handed, but I go for it.

Up on arrival,  I see that it is 18" and is black. Dammit!  When I open the lid, inside bowl has rust spots and traces of black paint including on the grill grate.  Who paints inside and the grill grate. Get paint flaking off on your food.  At this point, I am ready to walk away. I tell her that.  She wants $25 now. And if no sale, she may just trash it. I tell her to still sell for $30 if I don't take it.

I look it over again. DA-code.  Surprisingly, no marks or dings on the exterior finish and the lid fits nice and tight.  I am think of R and R. Rescue and Restore. Besides, I don't have any 18" or one with ash disk on it. It looks kind of old school with ash disk and 2 handles on the bowl. I think the newer ones have only one handle on a bowl and a smaller ash disc.

So, I pay her $25 and take it home with full bag of charcoal included.  All in all, not an exciting score but happy to have it rescued. It might turn out to be a great cooker.

Lets see how it looks after I clean it up.

Thanks for looking.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Unremarkable find and rescue
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 04:09:35 PM »
It will make a great cooker. I have so much fun using my 18's for a quick cook.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 04:09:43 PM »
You'll enjoy it. My daughter and I rescued one and it is a great grill. Tfs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:32:07 PM »
Nice rescue.  Good price, too.  18s are great to have …

With 2 handles on the bowl, that should (I think) be a Gold for that date code.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Twist-on ashpan doesn't seem right.

And, are my eyes deceiving me ??  But, I think it is assembled caddywampus with an upside-down triangle??
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »
Nice find, will make a great cooked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »
Aside from the legs and triangle needing correction, I would be pretty happy with that find. The 18s are great to cook on, much more efficient for a small cook. I love my little 18.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 07:40:26 PM »
All cleaned up, except the handles.  I think I need wooden handles on this to make it more retro.

Burn-in

The triangle is right side up but the legs are still oriented wrong. Still looks good. As commented, I am gona really enjoy this one too.  Thank you all!