Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: To cover or not to cover? That is the question.  (Read 5262 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: To cover or not to cover? That is the question.
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 07:19:35 AM »
No covers here.  Of course, we get only 4 inches of rain a year in Vegas.  Sun is a bit worrisome, but My kettles sit facing north and are in the shade of my house most of the day.  I wash them off and wipe them down pretty frequently, especially in the spring.  Back when I was in Missouri, I lived in the floodplain between the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers and it was very locally windy.  Covered my performer, and I cannot count the times the cover blew off, taking the lid with it. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

irv39

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2016, 07:25:42 AM »
I have a covered patio and I don't cover, but when it rains real hard and the wind is blowing it will get wet, I have the new summit grill so when I'm done cooking I put a alluminin cake pan on so rain don't get in on top and get on any unused charcoal wet.

power

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 01:18:30 PM »
My wife said the same thing last week, u have 3 covers for 3 bbqs that u never cover

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 01:58:06 PM »
I also never cover, but then again mine live inside.

My concern with covers it that they might/would keep moisture in and on the grill. In my mind it seems better to let them breathe.

Also, like Troy I like to see the colors!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2016, 02:13:08 PM »
if mine isn't cooking or cooling down, it's covered. 

I only use kettles with lid bales.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2016, 03:38:10 PM »

I don't cover mine, and they're fine ….

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 06:13:57 AM »
Most of my weber purchases, gas and charcoal, were used Craigslists finds.

The difference between covered and uncovered is night and day on older grills.

I've gotten grills that were filthy but covered, that, with a little effort, were cleaned to like new.

I've had others that were clean looking when I purchased but uncovered and all the cleaning in the world couldn't undo the work of Father Time and Mother Nature.

Uncovered grills are subject to moisture that leads to excessive rust and exposure to sun leads to  fades & discoloration.

I agree dealing with covers in a pain but it's worth it.

Lately I've found I can cool faster post cook by removing all ash from bowl using the one touch fins right after in done cooking and the  dumping the ash catcher into a sealed steel pan.

Getting that hot ash and embers out of cooker and off of the bowl is a big difference. Cool down time much faster now.

Most cooks, the bowl is cool before I go to bed. Otherwise uncovered for a night and cover the next day buts pretty rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 07:08:44 AM »

I don't cover mine, and they're fine ….

Love that pic with the icicles!

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »
I wouldn't even dream of ever leaving a single Weber grill outdoors, either covered or uncovered. Mine stay in the garage, covered always. The only Weber grill that I have uncovered inside my garage is my Ranch Kettle and that is because Weber still refuses to make a cover for it.

It is the only Weber product that Weber hasn't yet made a cover for. It is one of the most expensive products Weber makes and Weber hasn't made a cover for it. Due to it's size, it is one of the most likely Weber products that would be left outdoors and Weber still hasn't made a cover for it. It is one of the oldest Weber products dating back to the 1950's and Weber still hasn't made a cover for it. For years I have fought, argued, begged, pleaded, coerced, etc. Weber to please make a cover for this one lone, single product and they still haven't made a cover for it.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 10:05:23 AM »
I cover to keep the water out of them

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »
Mine live in the elements. No covers.