Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: BEST SEAR?: VORTEX/GOURMET SEAR GRATE/CAST IRON SKILLET  (Read 6445 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: BEST SEAR?: VORTEX/GOURMET SEAR GRATE/CAST IRON SKILLET
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »
A cast iron skillet is still only a one steak at a time proposition and it works great . Personally I like the drippings from the initial sear to fall on the coals and add that flavor along with the smoke wood flavor to the steak so I prefer a grate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 01:35:49 PM »

Personally I think a skillet or other thick flat surface is best. Searing by contact (conduction) gives the best crust faster, and the shorter searing times results in better control of internal temp/rarity.

It's all good but I really liked using a CIS (over lump in baskets) for this Porterhouse I recently reverse seared on my Performer. No flare ups and the skillet acts as a heat sink while slowly cooking indirect.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
Re: BEST SEAR?: SLOW N SEAR/VORTEX/GOURMET SEAR GRATE/CAST IRON SKILLET
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
You are correct. Thanks for catching that. I will update.

Bummer.  I was just getting ready to post two pics of the infrared pegged to Hi on both Grill Grates and Cast Iron.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 01:42:12 PM »
you don't need any attachment for great steaks, but the best one for the job overall is probably the slow'n'sear

the vortex gives you a crazy hotspot big enough to sear one steak (or two small ones) - you won't get grill marks because the radiant heat will be usually be higher than the heat of the cooking grate.
Plus you're eventually going to ruin your grate (and probably your lid)

cast iron is great for getting a fabulous crust, but there's no grilled flavor. You can add wood flavor by adding chips or chunks to your coals - but you don't get that GRILLED flavor because the fat stays in the pan and doesn't drip into the coals. You can resolve this by adding beef fat directly into your coals though. http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2016/02/01/grilling-tip-smoking-with-beef-fat-and-onions/

gourmet grate is ok, the marks look nice on big steaks but look rather silly on smaller cuts. Space is very limited.

grillgrates give overly dark, obnoxious marks. BLACK and gross, not what you want - while leaving the rest of the meat crustless and flavorless because, once again, no fat dripping into the coals.

Slow'n'sear gives you a hotter than normal zone big enough to sear several cuts. Use it at the peak of the heat for a super crust, or sear right as the heat dip begins for grill marks.
Either way, close the lid and keep the flames away. Flame bathed steaks taste like shit.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: BEST SEAR?: SLOW N SEAR/VORTEX/GOURMET SEAR GRATE/CAST IRON SKILLET
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 01:46:51 PM »
I use this thing mostly....

I was going to try that too: my CI grate from my Genesis on the 26 over coals. maybe that will be my next experiment before i buy anything else.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 01:53:44 PM »
you don't need any attachment for great steaks, but the best one for the job overall is probably the slow'n'sear

the vortex gives you a crazy hotspot big enough to sear one steak (or two small ones) - you won't get grill marks because the radiant heat will be usually be higher than the heat of the cooking grate.
Plus you're eventually going to ruin your grate (and probably your lid)

cast iron is great for getting a fabulous crust, but there's no grilled flavor. You can add wood flavor by adding chips or chunks to your coals - but you don't get that GRILLED flavor because the fat stays in the pan and doesn't drip into the coals. You can resolve this by adding beef fat directly into your coals though. http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2016/02/01/grilling-tip-smoking-with-beef-fat-and-onions/

gourmet grate is ok, the marks look nice on big steaks but look rather silly on smaller cuts. Space is very limited.

grillgrates give overly dark, obnoxious marks. BLACK and gross, not what you want - while leaving the rest of the meat crustless and flavorless because, once again, no fat dripping into the coals.

Slow'n'sear gives you a hotter than normal zone big enough to sear several cuts. Use it at the peak of the heat for a super crust, or sear right as the heat dip begins for grill marks.
Either way, close the lid and keep the flames away. Flame bathed steaks taste like shit.

@Troy thanks for the insight. like i said to @ABCbarbecue I have read the feedback and it sounds like the SNS is a great product, its just not in my budget. If i didnt already have a smoker and this getting two uses then i may be more likely to buy but this latest project is really more of a novelty. "My personal quest for perfect steak" doesnt mean a hill of beans my friends or family. they are already happy everytime i cook and at the end of the day thats whats really important. This was just a little experiment for myself to try something new inexpensively.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
Caveman style it. Skip the grates and throw your steaks right on the hot coals.

There's 2 important things to remember with this:
1. MEAT MUST BE DRY. Dab those steaks with paper towel first
2. Coals must be HOT and free of ash. A billows or a hair dryer works great for this.

Try to use something hotter, and with less chemical fillers, than kingsford

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »
Tried the charcoal baskets? If you want to sear more than will fit, take them apart and use the straight sides as a charcoal fence if don't have the charcoal rails as already suggested. I find a thick bed of lump works just fine.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 03:09:55 PM »
Wow ! !   I guess I just did not know how bad . . . .

my steaks must taste to others . . . .

d@mn those GrillGrates.

BD

The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »

Slow 'N Sear gives you a hotter than normal zone big enough to sear several cuts. Use it at the peak of the heat for a super crust, or sear right as the heat dip begins for grill marks.

I agree with your assessment of the Slow 'N Sear's searing abilities.  I like to wait until the last minute to put the food grate on the grill as I do not want grill marks.  I want all over nice dark brown.  I'll also spin the grate around as I flip to prevent the grate from leaving marks.  That's how I got the crust on the previous SnS steak pics I posted.  This is my technique using the standard weber grate...  not Grill Grates. (pics posted in my previous post in this thread)

Grill Grates do work pretty well for steaks, but you have to keep your fire cooler than you usually would because they amplify the heat.  I flip mine over, heat them up to about 800 F per my infrared gun, and go to town with the sear.  After I get the color I'm looking for I slide the steak over to the indirect side and let the steak slowly warm up to my desired final temp. (pics below)

I also keep a spray bottle with water handy and heavily spritz the GrillGrates if they get too hot.  Works like a champ.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:25:46 PM by ABCbarbecue »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 09:26:03 AM »
I use Craycort grates, but pbe gummi bear, the skillet provides more surface to meat.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 09:27:02 AM »
Oops, I mean I agree with pbe gummi