Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Impulse buy  (Read 3335 times)

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Impulse buy
« on: March 05, 2016, 06:15:37 PM »
Half the asking price. Propane tank empty, no baskets, grates a little wasted. Half a bucket of kbb. Missing lid bale. Good sweepers, lit first click when I swapped to a good tank.

I've spent better $25 but pretty sure I've spent worse.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
Re: Impulse buy
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
$25?...hell you HAD to buy that!..great grab!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 06:42:22 PM »
Heck of a deal for $25. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 04:07:21 AM »
For $25 that's a MUST buy!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 04:42:43 AM »
$25? And its a black one? I would think for that kind of cash it would be a redhead  ::). JK what a great find even at full price I would have pulled the trigge!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 05:01:08 AM »
I'v paid $25 for one in worse shape. Its screwed up WaaaaY worse than yours is.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 05:03:17 AM »
I saw that listing last night and was tempted. Congratulations!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 05:04:47 AM »
whats your plan of attack for upgrades/restoring?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 03:48:36 AM »
For $25 that's a can't lose. Even if it was stripped to restore other SS performers the parts alone would be worth way more then that.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 05:17:37 AM »
Thank you! I've been resisting that for about a week and was getting weak... Nice grab!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 06:08:54 AM »
Thank you! I've been resisting that for about a week and was getting weak... Nice grab!

I was getting the same way.  I'd emailed the guy, knew he'd take less, and shot him a text when I was at lunch with my dad.  Turned out I was 2.5 miles away. It needs a cleanup but other than missing the lid bale it seems to be pretty good.  I was really hoping for another set of the tall old style charcoal baskets but oh well.  I think that there's a place local that I can get the old tank refilled despite being 2 years out of compliance.

I'm apparently the finder of performers people can't figure out how to assemble.  I bought a C&B one last summer to give to my girlfriend's dad that was missing the charcoal bucket and never had the gas assist assembled (but was luckily included) and now this one I'm reasonably sure they never added the lid bale.  I have one from an SSP that the bowl nut actually pulled through the bowl because of rust that I might swap to this (assuming I can get the crudded up broken bolt out), if I don't put that one back into service.

@captjoe06 I'm not sure of the plan yet.  I'm usually not a black grill guy but it does look pretty sharp with the black and stainless-a classic look.  I'll probably clean it up when the girlfriend isn't looking and decide if either it is going to be a mostly pizza/steaks cooker, or I might see if my brother, who has a black gasser, is interested in experimenting with charcoal.  I need to reorganize my grills this spring and see if this makes the cut of driveway/grilling area.  I used it last night to light some charcoal for the 26er and wiped down the stainless with some degreaser.  It has some scratches and a few stubborn spots but some time with barkeeper's friend will likely make it look nice, then the normal dish soap, water and scraping for the bowl and lid, and maybe a re-paint with high heat satin for the frame.  I don't think I'm going to do a disassemble and rebuild restore though.

@Shoestringshop if it was red it would have been in the truck a week and a half ago.  It's only the 4th black charcoal grill I've ever owned (a thumbscrew I bought for for short money to get a lid when I was going to build a UDS, before I was really into charcoal (luckily, didn't destroy it), a free SJG, and my 26".

I guess you have weberitis when you are talking about "only" 4 grills being a small number.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 07:13:57 AM »
Well done!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »
I agree, there is an air of perfection with the balance between the jet-black kettle and the brushed SS :)                                SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".