Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chimney Lesson :-)  (Read 2306 times)

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
Chimney Lesson :-)
« on: March 07, 2016, 06:24:15 PM »
Hi All,
Love the chimney starter.  But after grilling on Sunday my son said he had a burn on his pants leg.  We thought he must have brushed up against the kettle at some point.  Well today I started the chimney to grill burgers and I see this (the big black square):

He must have brushed up against the chimney after I dumped the coals and set it on the ground on Sunday.  I guess I need to be a little more careful where I put the chimney after I'm done with it.  Lucky it was only his pants melted onto it :-)

Feel silly showing this but hey, maybe it will keep someone from needing a new pair of pants or worse.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Chimney Lesson :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:51:04 PM »
Man, there are times I have nieces and nephews running all over the place while I'm cooking. For the most part, they are smart and know what's hot. You never know though. Tip is noted.
Still need a 22” yellow

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:29:52 PM »
Dang, that chimney was scorching hot. I guess that since we're always holding it by the handle it's easy not to realize how hot they get. On second thought, guess we ought to know when it's glowing orange. Glad he didn't get burned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:32:24 PM »
Hot chimneys are no joke. I leave them away from people, animals, and things that melt. Luckily they cool down pretty quickly.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:13:24 AM »
Wow.  Luckily I have never been burned.  I put mone on the ground between the left end of my performer and my patio wall so it isn't goingto be accidentally run into...always worry about the dog going to check it out, but haven't had any problems as of yet.  Maybe the cooking grate of an unused kettle is the safest bet.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »
Isn't this one of the reasons we all have multiple kettles? 

After I dump my coals I always put the chimney in/on another open grill.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »
Wow.  Luckily I have never been burned.  I put mone on the ground between the left end of my performer and my patio wall so it isn't goingto be accidentally run into...always worry about the dog going to check it out, but haven't had any problems as of yet.  Maybe the cooking grate of an unused kettle is the safest bet.

That's where I leave it now.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 03:22:57 PM »
Most kids and pets are smart enough to learn after the first time . . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »
Neil_VT00 - I've been wondering what reason I could use to get a second kettle, nice one!