Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Loose leg on kettle?  (Read 3641 times)

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
Loose leg on kettle?
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:05:06 PM »
Now that I've finally got a 22.5" I'm considering putting some work into the 18.5".
Besides needing a new damper assembly for the bottom, I've got a few spots of rust on the lid which I've rubbed vegetable oil on a few times hoping it'll season it like cast iron, any tips for this?

The biggest problem is the front leg is loose and falls out from time to time.  I've considered drilling and adding a cotter pin to it but I'm hoping someone has a better solution.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Loose leg on kettle?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »
For the loose leg, remove the leg insert a broom handle or other wood dowel of the same diameter (slightly smaller than the inside of the leg) and insert it in and gently wiggle it to open up the leg, go easy and test fit from time to time so as you don't open it up to much.

For the missing porcelain you are spot on rub some vegetable oil on it and get it hot!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 12:29:58 PM »
Quick question - look at the triangle on the bottom are the wires above the back bar that goes between the wheels or below?

if below take the legs off and flip it, it will make a world of difference.

Looking at the pic it looks like the triangle is wrong.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 12:47:06 PM »
Quick question - look at the triangle on the bottom are the wires above the back bar that goes between the wheels or below?

if below take the legs off and flip it, it will make a world of difference.

Looking at the pic it looks like the triangle is wrong.

On the 18.5 I think they're below.
The damper was also installed wrong, at the back so the cleaning barely works.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »
HVAC aluminum tape works good..maybe 2 wraps on the leg, insert, then trim any excess. ..been holding for 6 months or so now on a couple i did

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:57 AM »
A peice of uncooked bacon work really well for treating rust spot!  You'll be amazed how far a little peice of bacon will go if you touch it to rust spots when the grill is hot.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:49:44 AM »
HVAC aluminum tape works good..maybe 2 wraps on the leg, insert, then trim any excess. ..been holding for 6 months or so now on a couple i did

I agree with him.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:49:58 AM »
If you guys are looking for a more permanent solution I use a deep socket and hammer it down into the leg to reshape the end into a perfect circle. If you have a complete socket set you should have one that's just the right size.

Spray the inside of the leg with lubricant so the socket can be removed more easily. Make sure you have locking pliers or similar handy as the socket can get jammed in the leg once in awhile. After it's perfectly round test again for how snug it fits into the socket. If it's still loose grab the longest screwdriver you have, place it down into the leg and with a little outward pressure flare the top rim a bit so it fits more snug.

Give it a try - fallout legs are the worst! 8)

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 11:47:03 AM »
I get my legs round again like @SixZeroFour says.
Then, I cut 2 or 3 inch long (just a little longer than the leg socket is deep) pieces of electrical conduit (I think it's 3/4 inch) to insert inside the leg. Before inserting, I use my bench grinder to grind a strip of the metal away. The leg won't go into the socket with the conduit in it unless you grind this strip. Once the strip is ground, you need to be sure you have the strip lined up in the leg with the dimple that holds the leg in. Once you have the leg with insert ready to install, it's a good idea to lube the leg and socket (I use a silicone spray), line the leg up correctly, and push/wiggle the leg in.
Note to any considering this: It's kind of permanent and you may not be able to get the leg out again, but this fix sure as hell keeps the legs in tight and the kettle stable.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:48:46 AM by Harbormaster »
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 03:27:27 PM »

I agree with him.

I have tried all these solutions broom stick you name it. HVAC aluminum tape is the hands down winner. Not even close.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP