Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Santa forgot one thing...a good dough recipe  (Read 5938 times)

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
Re: Santa forgot one thing...a good dough recipe
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 06:31:05 PM »
I found a dough mix at a local grocery store. Just add hot tap water, knead and oil it and let rise. Works great. The brand is Best Choice, lots of stores carry that as their "House" brand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 06:09:23 AM »
Great looking pie.  I'm sure you've read this, but a lot of people do the Kettle Pizza on a black grill or a beater rather than a cherry looking colored grill like you're using because of a fear of cracking the porcelain with the extreme, focused heat.  I use a redhead for my high head stuff, but it was $10 and had already been through the war.  That performer is beautiful!  I can't tell if your black is a 22" or a 26" from the picture.  If 26", excuse to get another one unlocked!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:11:04 AM by jkolantern »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 06:37:16 AM »
Great looking pie.  I'm sure you've read this, but a lot of people do the Kettle Pizza on a black grill or a beater rather than a cherry looking colored grill like you're using because of a fear of cracking the porcelain with the extreme, focused heat.  I use a redhead for my high head stuff, but it was $10 and had already been through the war.  That performer is beautiful!  I can't tell if your black is a 22" or a 26" from the picture.  If 26", excuse to get another one unlocked!

The black one in the pic is a 26er.  I have a black 3 wheeler (EE - 99), but its a my gf's brother in laws place.  That one is in really good shape as well.  I've been using the vortex on my red SS Performer without having any issues with heat affecting my porcelain so far, so I'm not too worried about the KettlePizza causing issues...yet.  It does sound like a valid excuse to get another grill though.  My gf really likes my red performer, so she might buy into the excuse.  I have a small patio so its more of a space issue than anything else.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 02:55:42 PM »
Hey Mike, For a dough recipe check out a book called The Pizza Bible by Tony Gemignani. There's dough recipes for many different pizza styles as well as some good reading about pizza making.

BTW, my wife came through for Christmas with the kettle pizza too and I'm loving it so far.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 02:59:39 PM »
@3sSecurity -  Thanks for the recipe tip.  I have a friend with a really nice outdoor pizza oven and he directed me to this pizza making forum.  It's a bit overwhelming at first but this place has a ton of good information and lots of good base recipes to start off with.  I can't wait to get this thing dialed in!  Feel free to PM me if you have any breakthrough recipies or tips you want to share!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 03:10:47 PM »
@3sSecurity -  Thanks for the recipe tip.  I have a friend with a really nice outdoor pizza oven and he directed me to this pizza making forum.  It's a bit overwhelming at first but this place has a ton of good information and lots of good base recipes to start off with.  I can't wait to get this thing dialed in!  Feel free to PM me if you have any breakthrough recipies or tips you want to share!
Thanks for the link. I haven't had any break throughs yet, but I just made the master dough recipe from the Pizza Bible today. They recommend making the dough 48 hours in advance, so I'll let you know how it turns out on Thursday.

My first pizzas on the kettle pizza were just made from store bought dough,  so I'm curious to see what the difference is. So far it's way better than the oven.

BTW, what kind of wood are you using?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 03:41:06 PM »
@3sSecurity - I always use mesquite with pizza.  Before I got my KP I did quite a few frozen pizzas. Even a tombstone wi some extra cheese added tastes great with mesquite.  I think it goes with the crust really well.  Definitely let me know how your dough works out.  The store bought Primo brand I've used twice isn't bad by any means, just a lot thicker than I'd prefer.  I have two dough balls left and will try using half a ball and really stretching it out to see how it does.  If that works 2 pizzas from one $2-$2.50 dough ball isn't bad at all.  I'm sure home made dough is where it's at though which means I a kitchen aid might jump past a rotisserie on my want/need/wish list! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 03:50:13 PM »
This is the recipe I have been using for 35 years and works very well in the Kettle Pizza. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and about 1-hour to rise sufficiently. We prefer thin and crispy pizza and this recipe delivers that, especially using the Kettle Pizza.

1-cup warm water (100*-110*)
1-packet yeast (I use the "original" Fleischmann's packets, not the "rapid rise")
1/2-tsp sugar
1-tsp salt
1-tbsp veg or olive oil
2.5-3-cups bread flour

In a large mixing bowl, I add the yeast and sugar to the warm water and let it dissolve. Takes about 5 minutes. Then add the salt and oil. Mix that around to dissolve the salt. Add 2-cups of the flour and get an even consistency. Start adding the last cup of flour while kneading the dough. I stop adding flour, once the dough is just barely dry enough to pull away from my fingers without sticking. In my experience with this particular dough, if I add too much flour, it gets tough and not as crispy. I cut the dough into 4 equal pieces, that will net 12"-14" very thin pizzas. Put the dough balls into lightly oiled bowls, then place into the oven to rise (a bowl of hot water, in the oven, seems to help the dough rise quicker). I also cover the dough with a clean dish towel, while it rises.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:54:04 PM by Jason »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 04:17:17 PM »
@jason - Thanks!  I'll definitely give it a try especially since it only needs an hour to rise

@3sSecurity - here is the stone I have.   http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/pizzacraft-trade-15-inch-round-pizza-stone-with-solid-stainless-steel-tray/1042852612?Keyword=pizza+stone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk