Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can you check a Weber on Southwest Airlines? YES!  (Read 3131 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Can you check a Weber on Southwest Airlines? YES!
« on: December 01, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
First off, I certainly wouldn't try this with that Glen Blue that is on Ebay right now...and I won't guarantee that it would work for everyone, BUT, I successfully boxed up and shipped my beat up brownie, and brought it home Sunday night on a direct Southwest flight from St. Louis to Las Vegas. 

I bought an extra large box from Home Depot.  ($1.97)

Slipped the bowl of the H code brownie in the box. 

Put the lid in upside down into the bowl. 

Placed the legs, wheels, and triangle in the lid and then placed the triangle on top.  (Later I taped the legs together, the pic is before I decided to do this step.)

I stuffed newspaper around the sides as best I could, and put another cardboard sheet on top of it all. 

Then I slit the edges of the box so it would lay flat on top, and taped it extensively with packing tape. 

My final dimensions were 22.5 inches high, 22.5 inches wide, 14 inches high=59 inches total.  Southwest allows you up to 62 inches total length + width + height so I had three inches to spare. 

Sunday night at Lambert was not too busy, the lady at the Southwest counter asked me what I had in the box, and I proudly said, "A Weber grill."  She asked no further questions, had me sign a release saying I wouldn't hold Southwest responsible for damages, and away we went. 

After 3.5 hours in the air, I was curious to see what would come out of the baggage carousel, and the box, though a little worse for wear, looked OK.  Got home at midnight, but I did a quick unboxing to find all OK. 

Last night I bought a new ash sweep for $5 and installed it, and tonight I put it all together.  Brownies are so interesting to me because they look so different depending on the light.  I know this one is far from perfect, but it will get a lot of love and care for years to come...she's a cooker, not a looker for sure.  Finally, I really love the handles my dad made for me.  He had a VERY serious health scare this summer, and I am extremely happy that he's back to his woodworking ways. 

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Can you check a Weber on Southwest Airlines? YES!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 09:35:25 PM »
Sounds like it was pretty painless… way to go!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:26:06 PM »
Awesome! Glad it all worked out, thanks for sharing! Nice picture of your collection by the way.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 03:47:05 AM »
Well done and it looks good! Gotta ask-where did you find an ah sweep for $5?!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 05:00:55 AM »
Found the ash sweep on Offer Up here in Vegas.  As usual, it seemed a bit sketchy.  Nondescript building in a bad area of town.  The lady said she had plenty more parts in the back...I was not going to walk "to the back" at night.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 05:33:51 AM »
That's awesome! I'll store that tip away for the next time my wife tells me no to buying a kettle while we are on vacation because shipping is to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 07:39:34 AM »
I'm interested that you can ship a 22" kettle in a $2 box from HD 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »

I've used the large HD box several times. I usually turn it inside out, lower the top to remove the air gap, pack the inside the best I can, and use a roll of tape   ;) 

The pics I've seen of the boxes at the other end have been good, and the contents were safe.

If a shipper is going to crush a box, it's not really gonna matter what box you use    :P

I still worry though. The last "perfect" 18 I sent, I used a smaller box inside the larger one. The 22's have been fine.

Just my experience. I know there are horror stories out there.

Dude, relax your chicken.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »
Your dad did a nice job on those handles. They look grate. Like the way the light finish pops against the darkness of the Brownie.

Read your other thread on this. Glad to hear that your project made it unscathed on Southwest. You're selling that Brownie short, it looks to be in decent shape. One bum wheel & missing ash pan are easy to remedy. Battle scars hide well on this color. I picked up a 18.5" Brownie (K) that went a few rounds with a less than friendly dog. After some TLC & standing back a little, it doesn't look too shabby.

BTW, nice collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:03:09 PM by brewtownbeatdown »
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
You're collection is looking awesome! Great info on the shipping

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »
Good to keep in mind for sure. 

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk