Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any good stories from previous owners?  (Read 3075 times)

posey.brad

• Smokey Joe
Any good stories from previous owners?
« on: July 11, 2015, 07:44:08 PM »
I'm fairly new to this whole weberitis thing but I love the idea of karma and memories tied to grills and cooking.

On that note, I had my brother pick up a faded black mbh off of CL for me last week. This was my first "old" kettle and I had been emailing the owner Don for a week. My brother sends me pics of the kettle and I am excited because I know from this site that it's from the late 70's and a bit older than I am.

First cook on the night I got it!

Well I emailed Don back after the kettle was in my possession if he was the original owner and if the kettle was originally black. I also asked if he had any good stories about using the grill, etc.

He responds that he moved to Texas in 75 and bought a house in Huntsville in 78. He thinks he bought it then but he wasn't sure. He also said that other people had emailed him asking if the grill was black or grey. Well, Don is colorblind and hadn't noticed the grill fading over the years. He wondered why the guy in the email asked about the color because Don had posted a picture.

Here is Don's story... "I  do have a “funny” memory about the last time I used it, but that’s probably not what your asking about. I cooked for my Chinese “girlfriend” (the relationship is now going on nine years) and 40-50 of her family and friends, who came from Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Corpus Christie to my home here in Montgomery. I had a lot left over. Months, years, later I learned that they eat mostly fish, and little red meat. At that same party I made home-made ice cream for them (with the White Mountain ice cream freezer that I sold yesterday). I noticed that they were politely nibbling at it, but letting most of it melt in their bowls. Much later I learned that they are all lactose intolerant — quite common among Chinese."

I laughed out loud reading his reply.
Anyways, now when I cook on this grill I will always have a funny story to tell. I feel like it makes the experience of grilling even more satisfying.

Here is a pic of the grill after my first ever clean up job. I used Pam to get it closer to the original black color. The triangle was dirty beyond me expertise and or laziness, so I painted it black. Not sure how cool that is with you guys but I sure like the way it looks.

So any good previous owner stories or memories from you guys? 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Any good stories from previous owners?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
Great story and great job on the restore, one thing tho your kettle is caddywampus, just pull the legs off and position the handle inline with the front leg it will move easier.  Enjoy!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 07:58:14 PM »
This is totally the high side of Weberitis:

"I laughed out loud reading his reply.
Anyways, now when I cook on this grill I will always have a funny story to tell. I feel like it makes the experience of grilling even more satisfying. '

Yes, there are stories....at very least one per kettle....if I start now we might be done by morning......

Each one will have some kind of history even if the person you get it from doesn't have much, it will start with how you found it, how you felt bringing it home, the cleanup (looks GREAT, BTW) & how it was used.....ongoing....... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »
Awesome post Brad, and welcome to the forum!

That's am extremely classy Black MBH with a cool history behind it! And great to see it go to someone who will appreciate that beauty for what she is!

Score!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

posey.brad

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 08:04:41 PM »
I know someone would notice the legs! I will get on that!

truckertrash

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 10:20:30 PM »
Dons story is a classic! As is that good lookin kettle! Great job on the cleanup!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 10:20:42 PM »
It's amazing how you turned that very speckled BBQ into it's original homogeneous black w' just Pam.  How's that holding up for you ???    And, by the way, you've got a great WKC attitude  ...  RRR.   Welcome from Eugene, OR.      SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

posey.brad

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 11:14:57 AM »
My $20 faded black mbh isn't caddy wampus anymore. Lol. Just added 3 new bottom dampers. One original was missing and the other 2 in bad shape. Just took a slight tap with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer. Haven't cooked on it yet but it's already faded some. Good thing Pam is cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:55:21 AM »
My glen-blue imperial was in the Arvada, Colorado floods in 2013.  That's how it was uncovered after all these years.

Stuck in a basement for 40 years until a flood of water pushed it out to the surface. 

posey.brad

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 01:04:35 PM »
Wow!   So much character and an amazing story.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »
Great Post Brad!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 02:19:43 PM »
Nice cleanup Brad. I'll need try the PAM on my faded black MBH.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »
I kinda like the faded look .02

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 03:38:40 PM »
very nice!  great job. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 08:28:14 PM »
Great story and awesome looking kettle!  As for painting the triangle, I say, why not? I have painted a few, my black '81 22 now has a black triangle. I think they look great on the black kettles. As for the PAM method, I think of it as the "Just For Men" for black kettles. Eventually it fades slowly and you can reapply or choose not to. I'm letting my '75 black faded MBH fade back to its patina freckle faded grey glory. What's cool about that one is that the handles are still black. Use it and enjoy it! Oh and like a true Grillfella, you "cooked on it that night!" -THE BEST PART!!