Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: rust removal  (Read 1698 times)

Rondo

• WKC Brave
rust removal
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:36:38 AM »
What does everyone use to remove rust from their grills. Just lightly sanding with steel wool etc. or any rust inhibitor. I don't prefer chemicals for obvious reasons but am interested in opinions.

SixZeroFour

Re: rust removal
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 06:10:01 AM »
Hi Rondo - 8 times out of 10 some #0000 EXTRA FINE steel wool will take it off if you scrub it over the rusty spot. (on the kettle bowl or lid itself)

... just realized you may be talking about the cooking grates themselves? Those just get up to temp and give them a good cleaning with a BBQ brush. 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 06:13:12 AM »
It depends on what part of the grill you need to remove rust from and how bad the rust is. I have success using Evapo-Rust ( www.evapo-rust.com/ ) on very rusted parts that are small enough to submerge in a tub. Vinegar can work too if the rust isn't so bad.
Naval jelly will help neutralize rust that is on larger areas that won't fit in a tub. The Technical Reference thread has some more info.

Electrolysis is also an option:  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/cleaning-rusty-triangles-using-electrolysis/msg109581/#msg109581
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 07:02:26 AM »
I've had luck w/ light sanding & chicken fat, where it gets hot enough to cure.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:57:12 AM »
Thanks for the info. I know it was a general question as far as grates or kettle. I don't worry to much about the grates most of mine have been replaced on the older ones. Wife has a thing about used grates. They were falling apart when I got them anyway. I was talking about the kettle for the most part. I'll try the steel wool first.